homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » BSoD error, out of nowhere!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: BSoD error, out of nowhere!
GameGod
Geek
Member # 620

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2008 11:58      Profile for GameGod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys,

I just had a quick question. I was recently away from my computer for two weeks, and once I came home and turned it on, it began to load windows and then once it was loaded I get the blue screen of death. It sometimes works, but when I turn it off again it goes through the cycle of the blue screen about 4 more times average. I am running Windows XP Home service pack 2.

Here is what shows up:
STOP: 0x000000C5 (0x00000004, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8054AFD2)

I have done numerous google searches to no avail, are there any windows geeks that can help me decode the problem?

Any help would be great!

--------------------
Well...that was fun =)

Posts: 153 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted January 06, 2008 16:20      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try to enter safe mode by quickly presing F8 before Windows starts. Then, check the device manager for devices that are not working properly, these normaly have an exclamation mark in a yellow circle. Try unistalling them or downgrading its drivers. If everything seems OK, check that your motherboard cables and cards are connected properly. Loose cards can easily cause a BSoD.

On the software side you should make a virus check and remove applications you haven't installed.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 06, 2008 19:20      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My immediate reaction would be bad RAM. Take all your RAM out, then stick it back in one DIMM at a time, checking to see if it boots after you've inserted each DIMM. For a more through RAM test check out MemTest86+, or boot up pretty much any Linux LiveCD distro and you can load MemTest86 from the boot prompt.

The only other thing is a corrupt registry or driver.. or it's just time to reinstall Windows. [Razz]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jqubed
Maximum Newbie
Member # 7897

Rate Member
Icon 4 posted January 07, 2008 09:21      Profile for jqubed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That code seems very familiar, but I only ever had that problem with Windows 2000. Have you been able to run chkdsk when you get your computer up and running? I think chkdsk /r still works on XP, but here's a guided help from Microsoft on using it.

--------------------
Unabashed Windows Fan
I employ ellipses extensively...

Posts: 10 | From: The States | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 07, 2008 09:59      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had similar issues, except that instead of getting a BSOD, I've come back to a bad HDD. Happened twice. Once, I accidently left the machine running for about 5 days, unattended, and doing nothing. The other time the machine was off for about a week or so, and when I booted the machine I got a S.M.A.R.T. warning that the drive was failing.

First I would try MacManKrisK's suggestion and then try jqubed's. Then check your cables. I suggest going this route as I would think it highly unlikely that cables would come loose when the machine hasn't been in use (unless your comp is on all the time and then when everything cooled something came loose).

Good luck. If nothing comes up, I'd try a reinstall of Windows.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted January 07, 2008 17:17      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with MacManKrisK -- Bad RAM #1 culprit.

Although, I don't mess with the hardware before testing. I have an "Ultimate Boot CD" (which does the same thing as Knoppix or a Live CD), and I run memtest.

For me, 4 out of 5 times the RAM caused the BSOD. After I know the RAM is bad (or good), then I open the case and mess around.

EDIT: The other thing -- if something (like a power outage) corrupted the hard drive, "chkdsk /p" might fix it. A friend of mine had "nothing" on his HD (although Knoppix recognized the files) and "chkdsk /p" fixed the partitions, etc.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted January 08, 2008 10:40      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
I agree with MacManKrisK -- Bad RAM #1 culprit.

Wait! What?

You're not going to blame Saddam Hussein? Or vast left wing conspiracy?

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 08, 2008 12:04      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cap'n vic... now now... be nice!

I see this computer problem as proof of the existence of tech gods that hate us. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture