homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Funkiness on the homepage CSS?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Funkiness on the homepage CSS?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 08:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wondering if anyone is noticing anything funky about the http://www.geekculture.com/ page or others?? I've had a couple of people email and say the formatting is weird, in Leopard Safari and in others browsers...
" ...firefox, galeon, epiphany, and seamonkey align most of the images down the center (until the footer starts with the links to archived comics), and only konqueror and opera look "normal"."

It all looks fine to me, so I'm just trying to figure out what is up. (I think it is the Ghost of Netscape! [Razz] )

Thanks in advance,

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 08:47      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Firefox has aligned all the images on the left to the center. The images from the left are also now placed above everything else.
IE has the images on the left still left aligned, but the center and right columns are still showing up below the left images.

If that's confusing I can always try to explain it in a more coherent way.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted January 03, 2008 08:58      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a link to a pdf that was submitted that shows the problem... seems it's the JoT page too...

http://www.geekculture.com/images/jotweirdness.pdf

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted January 03, 2008 09:00      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spaz... it is just the Jot page or is it in the archives too? for instance, is this page funky?

http://www.geekculture.com/joyoftech/joyarchives/1047.html

SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 09:02      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what I was trying to describe, only with the homepage.

--------------------
Things, and things.

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 10:06      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see it too. In IE7 and Firefox 2.X on Windows and on *nix.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 10:08      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Archives show up fine.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted January 03, 2008 10:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still can't get anything wrong. [cry baby]

I'm wondering if it's something funky in the ad javascript, that only certain people are getting due to geographical locations and targeting.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 10:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy ______________________ I am not sure if this is relavent to the discussion. Occasionly when running the slider bar up to get back to the top of the page. Firefox just goes away, this is happening on an old gateway that I have Ubuntu 6.06 lts installed upon. When I restart Firefox the last history is not there. I'm not blameing your site but it only happens here. Maybe it's from the next to last update I installed, because thats when this behavior started to happen. I usually update within a day of the notice that an update is available.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 11:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy,

I've reloaded your index page about 100 times (uh... sorry about the bandwidth, but at least I'm a superfan?) and every time it's gone wonky in Firefox, the ad below has been displayed on the left sidebar.

In Opera, this particular advertisment never comes up and, if you disable javascript, it no longer comes up in Firefox and the page layout doesn't go wonky.

-

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 13:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Steen!

Yeah, i think tribalfusion has done something to their javascript that is making things funky... don't know if it will be just this ad or not, I'll try turning it off.

edit:
OK, another person who had the same problem had the same insweb.com ads... so I've blocked ads from insweb.com... let me know if that helped. Thanks

Edit again:
a third person confirms the insweb.com funkyiness... and the reports the site is working OK now that they are off. cool

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 15:28      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah...I was suspicious of ads...and it does work now.

However, I looked at that code and was quite frightened...ack! I imagine that's a good part of why Gecko burped. 'Tis very strange that WebKit rendered it alright...but maybe it wasn't getting the ad? I didn't pay attn to the ad when it loaded, but it did take awhile to repaint in place...it started out kind of b0rked...which makes sense, given the code (which says 'paint right, then left!').

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted January 03, 2008 17:40      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's been confirmed by Tribal Fusion as a javascript issue with that ad. Thanks everyone who helped track that down for me.

Dragonman: yep, the code stinks.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture