homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Anyone here using Google Apps?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone here using Google Apps?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 30, 2007 20:06      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just switched a domain over to Google Apps to test out the IMAP email service. It's been sweet so far. Anyone else been using it or any of the other services?
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 03:43      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy ______________________________ I used to use Google quite a bit but once Ask started the Ask Eraser I stopped using Google. They do have a neat Ham call lookup that will show the location on the globe and short and long pathes.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 10:42      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My old company used google for calendar, some document sharing and some group mailing lists. I think the gmail concept of tags is vastly superior to the IMAP folder based view. It's the only mailer I use now.

For the domains I personally run, I started evaluating Gmail for business, but it did not have the flexibilty (in early 2006) to do the things I needed with respect to virtual users and routing mail. So I still use sendmail on my hosting server to route mail to my gmail inbox.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 12:32      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough*

Ask Eraser?

Pardon my skepticism, but I think it's an utter joke.

"Please, Mr. Search Engine, throw away my queries, which I'm sending you with a unique cookie. Thank you, and have a nice day."

"Sincerely, Anonymous Ask User #3QY725"

--------

However, I'm also a bit untrusting of Google Apps, from the privacy standpoint, with Google being /very/ data-interested. I just don't fancy the idea of them holding all the correspondence for an organization....except that they have such fantastic offerings. :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 12:46      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use it for gmail on my domain, and I love it. Really easy to set up, and its even better now gmail has IMAP. Perfect for my needs.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2007 12:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
*cough*

Ask Eraser?

Pardon my skepticism, but I think it's an utter joke.

"Please, Mr. Search Engine, throw away my queries, which I'm sending you with a unique cookie. Thank you, and have a nice day."

You wouldn't have to be of the tinfoil-hat brigade to suspect that anyone using it is automatically flagged as 'suspicious', and their search history passed on to The Proper Authorities.

Not all of the people we pay to spy on us are hopeless incompetents.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2008 03:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All ________________________ I have a tin foil hat but I also have had a Top Secret Clearence in the Service, I do know that there is still a high probability that the file is still active. I just don't want Google to know as much about me as the Gov. though they may already know more.

We do not know what fuzzy logic they may use on their data and build profiles on us.

I'm only trying to limit my exposure to Google.

If the Gov. wants to spend billions to sweep the Internet, and violate the Fourth & Fifth Admendments there is really nothing we can do except give them cause to waste money. "Hey this guy turned on Ask Eraser lets watch him search" "Why is he looking for trailer PLows, they are antiques now?" "He is also looking for parts for very old tractors."

Case in point the neighbors newer tractor spun a bearing for its water pump we looked for days only to find that the cheapest one was over a hundred dollars, measured the bearing went to a Bearing Dis. Nineteen dollars we rebuilt the pump and his tractor is running again, My old tractor doesn't even have a water pump, it uses thermo syphon, and boiling pot cooling.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2008 20:10      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as I have learned (and I can't divulge sources), Google explicitly does not want to link data back to individuals. In this era where the government can strong arm companies into forking over data (and out of respect for privacy laws), it's just too much of a hassle. Their business model works by targeting an advertisement to the text you are reading *at this second*. When they can do that better than anyone else, they don't have to assemble a dossier on each person. Having that would be a liability.

That said, as a US company, if the government wanted your email, Google would have to turn it over. So would ANY mail hosting service. You might be able to hold them off if you hosted the mail yourself, but it's a false sense of security. If the high level spooks really wanted your mail, they could make your ISP bend over to tap your incoming mail stream.

The most important question about hosting mail with an outside source is if you can meet corporate data retention policies. Personally, I think gmail does a better job at backup than my friendly local admin. If I had to turn over back mail for legal reasons, it would be far easier to turn them over to gmail than prove that my email system was reliably backed up with proper audit trails. Of course, I am not a lawyer. YMMV

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 03:28      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the new version of Mail.app in Leopard, and since Gmail now supports IMAP I now use Mail for that account now. There are a couple of wrinkles that are worth pointing out, in addition to the instructions on the Gmail support pages. First it does not work unless you put your gmail language account setting to US English. Secondly you must map the folders from inside Mail.app as detailed here. Then everything works a charm.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 11:48      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
to all you tin-foil hat wearing individuals, there was a recent study that showed that tin-foil actually amplified the so-called "brain control" frequencies.

--------------------
no my password is not username

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2008 12:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by password:
to all you tin-foil hat wearing individuals, there was a recent study that showed that tin-foil actually amplified the so-called "brain control" frequencies.

That's what -they- want you to believe so you won't wear your tinfoil! [crazy]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 04, 2008 03:59      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to confess to being a bit of a google fanboy. I just find it so easy to have all my email, contacts, appointments, bookmarks, document, etc, etc online so I can get to them from where-ever, and not having to pay for the service only sweetens the deal.
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture