homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » MacBook question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: MacBook question
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 23, 2007 09:14      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot has changed with Apple since I have been gone. I was looking on the Apple website at the New MacBooks and saw that the video got an upgrade. It lists it as shared with the Main Memory and lists it as 144Mb. I'm wondering if anyone knows much about this. I know that sharing video with main memory slows things down a bit. But does anyone know about the preformance with the way the MacBook is set up? How would it be for playing video games under Windows? I want to dual boot it for Video Games.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted December 23, 2007 12:08      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are taking off 144 MB of 2 GB for graphics it's not the big deal. If you feel it's somewhat of an overkill you can always set the shared portion in Windows anyway you want.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2007 04:48      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've heard, the card in the MacBook has no trouble with lots of polygons or large textures. But the shader implementation is lacking some useful features, so game developers usually prefer to disable shaders than write a workaround for that specific card. I think that's why a lot of the recent EA games aren't supported on the MacBook.

So I suspect that lots of games will run acceptably quickly but not look very fancy. Have a search through the MacRumors forums; they often have reports about this very topic. Definitely worth checking out.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2007 07:35      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have 3 MacBooks, (1 CD and 2x C2D) mine, my wife's, and my daughter's - the ones that came with a base 512Mb RAM struggled a bit with WoW until upgrades to 768Mb or better cleared that up.

I am not a massive games player so I can't comment on how it compares to other stuff - but I have no complaints about it.

If you are really concerned about games graphics performance then a MacBook isn't really the machine to be looking at...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted December 24, 2007 08:47      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason I'm looking at the MacBook is 1) I love OSX and 2) the price is right.

The Games would be played under Windows XP. Untill Mac catches up with putting out the latest and greatest games I'm kind of stuck with Windows [Frown] .

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 24, 2007 08:56      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not a gamer, so I can't speak to the video quality. In all other regards, I /love/ my MacBook. :-)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted December 24, 2007 09:05      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The latest MacBook has Intel GMA X3100 graphics which are a great improvement over previous gen's GMA 950. They would work even for the latest games.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture