homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Mac Pro OEM HDDs: The Return

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mac Pro OEM HDDs: The Return
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 13, 2007 20:02      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe four months ago I had posted a message about what brand of hard drives Apple was using in the Mac Pros. I was concerned that Apple was using Maxtor drives in at least some of the configurations (I saw somebody's customer photos on Amazon).

I'm sorry to say I don't remember what user it was, but somebody said they had several Mac Pros in their company/organization and asked that I post again in several months to see if they had any failures or issues with their drives...

So does anybody have any new information about this? I've used nothing but Seagate drives until recently when I bought a Western Digital external drive. The Seagates were reliable and I've always heard good reviews about them. Apparently some of the Seagate drives in Macbook Pros, however, are literally scratching themselves to death. That is disheartening, but I haven't heard anything bad about the current batch of desktop drives, so I'm optimistic.

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sonicjay
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 13260

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2007 11:14      Profile for Sonicjay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.seagate.com/maxtor/

Seagate bought Maxtor, so same difference I suppose

Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2007 13:44      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey. It was me. We haven't had any HD related issues yet. We've had some stability issues though, which are apparently related to the graphics card (x1900 XT http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1235605&tstart=0)

I also bought a WD for my personal G5 about a year ago and have had no issues. FWITW I also got a 200GB 7200RPM Hitachi on the cheap for my MBP (which I constantly abuse) and have had no problems there either, for about 5 months.

CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2007 17:25      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tut-an-Geek, Sonicjay, thanks for the input. I couldn't remember who originally replied to my old messages.

I'm glad to hear there haven't been any issues so far with HDDs in the current Mac Pros. I've been looking at both Hitachi and Seagate for when I finally get a new system. Although Hitachi doesn't get much lip service, their specifications and ratings seemed to be among the highest I've seen.

In my original posting somebody mentioned that Seagate had bought Maxtor, but I'm still meeting the odd customer coming into the photo lab where I work, talking about hard drive problems. Most of them end up being Maxtor drives, though in what form factor I can't say.

Anyway, again, thanks for the help. And thanks for the x1900XT mention, Tut-an-Geek. I've heard rumblings of issues with ATI cards. I hope they aren't a problem in the next generation (whatever they may be... x3800 perhaps? hmmmm).

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture