homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Double Sata connectors?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Double Sata connectors?
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2007 16:59      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know how IDE came with 'three' connectors? Two to plug into two hard drives or CD Roms, and one to plug into the IDE spot on the board? Do they make the same for SATA Data cables?

I have not spotted one yet, but they've gotta be out there somewhere..

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Posts: 54 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2007 18:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure there's no such thing. The S in SATA is for Serial, and as such, is not meant to carry traffic for multiple devices. If you need more connectors than are on your mobo, you likely need to purchase an adapter card that has more connectors.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2007 20:04      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, I was hoping that was not the case. I can never get the 2 extra ports on my board to read anything, despite installing all the proper drivers.

I was thinking of getting a sata card, but if I wanted to add more than 2 TB of storage space, I'd need to use up my last two PCI slots to do so.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 02:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shredder565 _______________________ SCSI, SCSI My Friend. Once set up and all conflicts taken care of easy seven drives.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 13:07      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Promise makes 2 to 8 port SATA RAID adapters. It would be my personal choice for a 2TB+ solution.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2007 18:46      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816102085

Hmm, this might work. Thanks for the link [Smile] .

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture