homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Study abroad?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Study abroad?
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2007 04:11      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would anyone recommend going to a particular non-U.S. univeristy for a semester? I want to study abroad, but I'm just not sure where.

goo

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2007 04:41      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES. Australia was popular at my Uni for people who didn't want to bother with foreign laguages. I would recomend somewhere where you must learn a new language. Bordeaux, Berlin, (to hang with skylar), tokio. Go for it.

If you want to learn why german engineers make such good things may I suggest somewhere in Germany or switzerland. The ETH is an exceptional school for engineers (Albert einstein is alumnus).

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2007 04:49      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't forget the world class insitutions that are British universities! (or so we're told... [ohwell] )
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2007 05:35      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edinburgh is lovely. There was even a GC moot a few years back, although most of the attendees are now mostly lurking or departed.

\Shouts out to the lurkers!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2007 09:38      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried studying a broad once.....but then she got a restraining order against me.
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2007 11:15      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
I tried studying a broad once...

So, you were trying to get abreast of things?

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2007 12:00      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say, if you are getting good grades right now then go for it.

Europe and Australia seem like popular places to study. But don't forget about Canada - BC and Ontario have excellent Universities for whatever you want as well.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
supergoo

SuperFan!
Member # 2280

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2007 17:32      Profile for supergoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kind of want to go to a non-English speaking country. I'm somewhat proficient in Spanish--not quite fluent right now, but I think I could pick it up very easily if I lived in a Spanish-speaking country.

My school has a direct exchange program with Universidad Católica in Chile, I'm thinking it might be interesting to go there and take literature/philosophy courses in Spanish. Has anyone been to Santiago before?

If that plan doesn't work, I'm still thinking about going to Australia, England, Scotland, etc...

--------------------
Y los sueños, sueños son.

Posts: 675 | From: Boston 'burbs | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2007 17:56      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Russia? Moscow State University is an excellent school, I'm sure you'll have a great time there. Or, better yet, hop on a plane to Australia - that place is well-known for its beaches, sharks and star-counting light saber owners [Razz]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2007 17:58      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@zesovietrussian.. don't forget the killer dropbears ;P
Posts: 29 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 18, 2007 22:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mexico City is a pretty neat place. And you are always welcome in Canada Goo!
Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted November 19, 2007 06:19      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the University of the Andes would welcome you. It's a neat place, the best private university in Colombia.
Check their website: UniAndes
if you prefer it in English: English Site (The side is somewhat outdated)

PS: I'm studying there. I just can't stop loving my uni [Happytears]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 07:32      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
Well, the University of the Andes would welcome you. It's a neat place, the best private university in Colombia.
if you prefer it in English: English Site (The side is some what putdated)

Looks great for someone who can speak some Spanish and wants to learn engineering.

I have read somethings that Bogatà is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Is that just a different part of town that everyone knows not to go to?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 08:35      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
(...) And you are always welcome in Canada Goo!

Sure! And there's even places in Canada where people don't speak English! (Kinda...) [crazy]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted November 19, 2007 12:15      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:

Looks great for someone who can speak some Spanish and wants to learn engineering.

I have read somethings that Bogatà is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. Is that just a different part of town that everyone knows not to go to?

Thanks for the advice Ashitaka, I'll never visit Bogatà in my life. Fortunately Bogotá is a very safe place, since the late 90's. Plus, the University has a police station annexed and private vigilance in all the area.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2007 14:16      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
quote:

Thanks for the advice Ashitaka, I'll never visit Bogatà in my life. Fortunately Bogotá is a very safe place, since the late 90's. Plus, the University has a police station annexed and private vigilance in all the area.
Sorry, I have a french keyboard with a à and not a spanish one with a á.

Sorry about saying your beloved home is dangerous. I am just grossly misinformed. I read a magazine article last week about Bogata Entitled " The Most Dangerous City in the World" with pictutres and stories to make people never want to go there. But it is a swiss magazine, what do they know, they have pprobably never been there.

-

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2007 07:00      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if the credit hours are important to you, but if they are make sure your current school will apply the school abroad's hours toward graduation.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
AnnaMission
Newbie Larva
Member # 11902

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 20, 2007 14:10      Profile for AnnaMission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I studied at the University of Salamanca in Spain, and I tell ya, it still remains the best experiance of my life and that was a long time ago!

I don't know if I should be proud of that, or depressed. Jesus, I need to get a life!

Posts: 7 | From: Encino, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted November 20, 2007 17:25      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ashitaka, from the little German I know, I guess the article is right the "Cartucho Street" used to be a very dangerous place, but with the administration of Mayor Peñalosa a few years ago
it became from this
 -
to this
 -
The Third Millenium Park.
Bogotá is changing. And quickly.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture