homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Whirring Laptop Woes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whirring Laptop Woes
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2007 08:01      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi guys,

Most of you who know me round here know that my area of geek-expertise is pretty far removed from anything computer related, particularly when it comes to issues of hardware. So I come to ye almighty wise ones in search of your help [Smile] .

I have an Acer Aspire 5100 laptop - have had it for about 14 months now. In the last couple of days it has started to make a horrible whirring noise each time I turn it on. Like it's trying to clear its throat or something [Razz] It seems to be coming from the fan, judging by feel and sound. The fan still seems to be working, but the noise is irritating and disturbing to say the least. It's pretty much constant and is worrying me more and more. When I blow a little air into the vents, obvious amounts of dust seep out - do I just have a dirty fan that can be cleaned, or do I need to have it replaced?

Furthermore, is there anything I (with my limited, but not entirely non-existent expertise) can do about this at home? Or is it necessary to take it in to be looked at? I'm in the final stages of writing a dissertation at the moment, so I really need it to be running healthily ASAP.

Thanks in advance for all your help [Smile]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2007 08:30      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UMMM it could be the hard drive failing - make sure that it is the fan making the noise and not somewhere else on the laptop?

Either way you should have everything backed up on something removable if the worst happens.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 06, 2007 14:30      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like the fan might be going south. If you're lucky, you might be able to find a similar-sized one, though it's highly unlikely - you'll probably need to replace the whole heatsink/fan assembly. The part itself isn't too expensive, around $30 or so, but replacing it would be a royal pain in der arsch. Here's the service manual, in case you decide to give it a shot. At least, I hope it's still there - IT nazis at work have rapidshare blocked off.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2007 19:48      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that happen to me - i just started using headphones and the noise went away!
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture