homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Who is or was "The Greatest American Band"? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Who is or was "The Greatest American Band"?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted October 28, 2007 20:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw a television ad that called the Eagles "the Greatest American Band". I don't think so.

Who would you describe as The Greatest American Band?

Posts: 7826 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2007 23:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tenatious D

They did once sing the greatest song in the world.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 01:44      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It has got to be Bob Segar & The Silver Bullit.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5475 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 02:21      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
They did once sing the greatest song in the world.

But we've only ever heard the tribute [Frown]
Posts: 1133 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 29, 2007 08:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob Segar & The Silver Bullit.

I would disqualify them as Greatest American Band since their name contains the name of the main driving force of the band. (Likewise, Bruce Springsteen and the E street Band would also be disqualified.)

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 08:56      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hard for me to say because I don't like too many American Bands. But I'll say The Minutemen. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!] [thumbsup]
Posts: 5830 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 10:49      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UMMM:

REM
Aerosmith
Van Halen
Journey
Guns N' Roses
The Doors
Metallica
Dave Matthews Band
Nirvana
The Beach Boys
Bon Jovi
Bruce Springsteen

Take your pic. - I say Bruce shouldn't be disqualified though - I love his song "Radio Nowhere"

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 10:51      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait... Did you just use "great" and "American" in the same sentence?

Seriously, I'm not sure there is an American band that deserves the title "greatest". When I think of great bands, the ones who deliver consistently good music for decades on end, I think of groups from the other side of the pond. Eighties hair bands? Meh. Nirvana? Flash in the pan. Emo bands? Puh-leez! Maybe Aerosmith -- they're the only non-eponymous American band I can think of that stayed reasonably popular for more than ten years. Say, wait. Speaking of Eponymous, I forgot R.E.M. Thank goodness, maybe there are more I'm not thinking of. I was afraid I was proving our cultural irrelevance!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1669 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted October 29, 2007 12:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
 -

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10460 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 29, 2007 13:08      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid, we have a winner! [Razz]
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 15:08      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion the greatest American band would have have to be The Greatful Dead.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 17:03      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! I forgot - The Velvet Underground!
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 18:16      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Simply because a band carries the name of its leader or founder should not disqualify it. Particularly when America's sense of individualism is taken into account.

The Glenn Miller Orchestra is not among the greatest American Bands? I think many members of "The Greatest Generation" would contest that. I think it was a great band. It was was a bit of a phenomenon that caused people to stop dancing and just to listen.

The Temptations should be on the list.

Of course, The Greatful Dead would be on the list, as any Dead Head would tell you.

My very favorite band George Washington and the Yankee Doodle Dandies -- now those suckers kicked Limey butt!

[Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 29, 2007 20:01      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to have to say Metallica, but my musical knowledge is rather limited.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 02:17      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm Colonel Panic, if you are allowed a slick but soulless 1940's danceband, I would have to nominate Duke Ellington's band, either from his early days in the '30's, or the fantastic band from the mid '50s.

If we are going to stick with more mainstream music, the American band that has had more hits and sold more records than anyone else was the house band of Motown Records, who sometimes call themselves the Funk Brothers. Their names may not have been on the records, and they only picked up a session fee, but they have a pretty strong claim nonetheless. Along similar lines I might also nominate the great Muscle Shoals and Stax studio bands. Their output might have been less, and not as commercially significant, but all those records still sound as fresh and alive as when they were made, and they were arguably a much more significant and lasting influence on American popular music.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 05:39      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Along similar lines I might also nominate the great Muscle Shoals and Stax studio bands. Their output might have been less, and not as commercially significant, but all those records still sound as fresh and alive as when they were made, and they were arguably a much more significant and lasting influence on American popular music.

[thumbsup] I'd rather hear Time Is Tight by Booker T & The MGs than Motown stuff any day. I always thought that Motown sucked up to whitey too much. No wonder that the soundtrack for a bunch of self-obssessed rich white people in The Big Chill was all Motown hits.
bassgoonist
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5044

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 11:17      Profile for bassgoonist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to go with Aerosmith
skylar
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 11:43      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
OMG! I forgot - The Velvet Underground!

[thumbsup] [Applause] [thumbsup]

Or maybe I'll go with Lynyrd Skynyrd [Wink]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
LoneWolf
Mini Geek
Member # 4966

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 12:16      Profile for LoneWolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would also say The Greatful Dead, or perhaps Jimmi Hendrix
Posts: 61 | From: Victoria BC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 12:28      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wot, no votes fer Electric Six? [Frown]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6523 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 12:30      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Archies

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2434 | From: Somewhere between the gutter... and probably another gutter | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 12:43      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The band I would name as the greatest American band is, oddly enough, one I just about can't stand in a genre that I rarely listen to.... and they weren't exactly a band: The Carter Family.

Still, they had a huge influence on American music.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 16:07      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy ________________________ Not Fair, Unfair.

redefining the rules after the first post to your topic.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5475 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 17:37      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
The band I would name as the greatest American band is, oddly enough, one I just about can't stand in a genre that I rarely listen to.... and they weren't exactly a band: The Carter Family.

Still, they had a huge influence on American music.

Absolutely!

Further evidence that dear Snags does not understand the parameters of an "American Band".

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 30, 2007 19:49      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Pretenders!
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.