homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Must come Clean!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Must come Clean!
AnnaMission
Newbie Larva
Member # 11902

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2007 17:25      Profile for AnnaMission     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel obligated to tell everyone, that while I do not know what can actually qualify a person for the title of "Geek", I wouldn't be so bold as to define myself that way. But I aspire to be a Geek when I grow up!
Posts: 7 | From: Encino, CA | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 01:16      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry Anna, there are quite a few of us here whose geek credentials are fairly dubious. This is an open minded place however, that welcomes all people of good will, so pull up a pew. You're welcome!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 07:20      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AnnaMission:
I aspire to be a Geek when I grow up!

True geeks never grow up.

(/me checks Anna's date of birth in profile)

Oh, you already know that.

Greetings Anna, there's hot water in the kettle, instant coffee in the plastic bag by the sink, and Bulgarian Whisky on the top shelf behind the large pile of 1980's Byte magazines. Geek Heaven !

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 15:11      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to the forums!!!

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted October 26, 2007 15:49      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! Welcome! Hope you enjoy the forums.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 16:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AnnaMission ___________________ I would say the bong is in the closet but last I looked it wasn't there someone must have taken it on a sabatical.

I myself am the OLD FART.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 17:37      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome, Anna, hope you enjoy it here.

Geek cred isn't limited to electronics, by the way. We'll accept deep knowledge and/or passion for just about anything. Movies, music, languages, etc. Or you can just lay back and soak up the geeky overflow [Smile]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 18:58      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anna: Welcome. Geekiness is not about techinical prowess itself. It's about caring about something so much you don't care if other people think you're strange. And, let me tell you, the crowed here should cast no stones.

quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
... there's ... instant coffee in the plastic bag by the sink, and Bulgarian Whisky on the top shelf behind the large pile of 1980's Byte magazines. ...

I thought we kept the stash for the Cosmic Bong in the plastic bag by the sink. Don't tell me you've been using it for coffee!

And why, oh why, would you even utter the words Bulgarian and Whiskey in the same sentence. My fictional Scottish ancestors are turning in their graves.

My Byte magazines are rotting in the attic. I may have to find them some day.

Mo Man: I'll bet I'm older and fartier than you. [Smile]

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2007 21:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
I thought we kept the stash for the Cosmic Bong in the plastic bag by the sink. Don't tell me you've been using it for coffee!

Dude, you've been putting Nescafé in the Cosmic Bong!
That could explain a lot...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2007 03:48      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quantumfluff ___________________ For a birthday try March 1946. I am in the first wave of baby boomers. I was in the social Security office last month to make my appointment to sign up for benifits.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2007 11:32      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I feel obligated to tell everyone, that while I do not know what can actually qualify a person for the title of "Geek", I wouldn't be so bold as to define myself that way. But I aspire to be a Geek when I grow up!

Don't worry, lady -- some of us even get paid to be geeks -- and yet I ^H^H *ahem* still think that platform independence, for example, is what happens when the railway system is deregulated.

To quote Milhouse: "I'm not a nerd... nerds are smart." [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 27, 2007 14:20      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
quote:

Don't worry, lady -- some of us even get paid to be geeks [snip]
Amen on that point!

Alas, I'm perhaps a bit too geeky for my own good at times. ;P

(Saying "/me" IRL doesn't win 'cool points' too often - well, except in some of the circles I run in. [Smile] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The JokeMaster
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 5489

Icon 1 posted October 28, 2007 09:25      Profile for The JokeMaster   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just installed 10.5!

SPACES IS GREAT!! Real space saver.

--------------------
Using Default Avatars is THE FUTURE!!!

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 28, 2007 10:17      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
quantumfluff ___________________ For a birthday try March 1946....

You really *are* a fossil. [Big Grin] . I am not worthy.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture