homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » daily energy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: daily energy
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2007 19:18      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm currently a senior at my High School and I know on many days that when I get home from school I just don't have the energy to continue. So I sit in front of the computer basically brain dead literally not being able to do anything. And I know it will get worse in Univ.

So do any of you have any tips on keeping my brain ticking longer?

The problem isn't staying awake because I can just drink coffee if I want too - but it is having me being able to problem solve and have the drive to keep going. Right now I feel like my productivity drops by like 50% as soon as I walk into my house.

*sorry for the bad stuctured post - brain is dead [tired]

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 24, 2007 20:40      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If at all possible don't do your studying/homework at home. It's too comfortable and familiar with way too many distractions. Go somewhere quiet where you won't be disturbed (and where there are no computers [Wink] ). And make sure to take a ten minute break every hour. You're not going to be any more productive if you keep banging away after your brain tires out. I got a lot of good studying tips from this book. It's geared toward college students who live on campus, but it has great advice for how to read your textbooks, how to manage your time, how to study for tests, how to take tests, and how to write papers.

And if getting more energy is really the entire problem, cut out caffeine (counter intuitive, but yeah), get to bed and get up at the same time every day and try to get 7-8 hours of sleep every night, don't sleep in on weekends, try to get an hour of exercise every day, and watch your diet to make sure you are eating healthy foods not junk.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted October 24, 2007 23:03      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second peebs- don't work at your house, and if you must, stay out of your room.

Now, being a narcoleptic, I don't know if this will work for you, but...

If you feel you need an upper, drink a caffeinated beverage and then take a fifteen minute nap. Actually, I would advise taking "power-naps" as often as possible- fifteen minutes of decent sleep in the middle of the day can literally make it feel like you wake up hours later.

Also, excercising helps. Everybody's different so take this with a grain of salt, but I recommend excercising right before you get an opportunity to sleep (either a long nap or for the night). The sleep you get will be that much better, and you'll wake up feeling very alert (even if your muscles hate you for it).

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture