homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Fun With Sun Computers, Part 2

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Fun With Sun Computers, Part 2
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2007 18:38      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So Ive given up on the sun server I have for a while. Moved on to this workstation I bought recently second hand.

I think everything works on it. Drives whirr up, lights blink, but it doesnt put anything out to the monitor. Its a Sun Blade 100. Onboard VGA output. Ive got a native sun keyboard and mouse attached. I dont think the mother board is dead, as the heatsink on the CPU gets hot (meaning it is working). I reset the jumpers on the BIOS, no luck. The only irregularity I can find, is that "power on" light isnt coming on. I intend to trace the line to see if it is faulty, but it doesnt look disturbed from what I could see of it.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, does anyone know if this type of thing will support a standard PCI vid card? Ive got plenty of spares, and wonder if it will send vid output to it.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 16:06      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure about the vid card, but you can always try the serial port trick on the Blade -- should work exactly the same. If you get nothing, then it may be that the machine is borked.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anhaedra
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 12143

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 01, 2007 11:14      Profile for Anhaedra   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the same problem with my Ultra 60... Everything powers on, but no video. I'm using a Belkin sun adapter because I don't have a Sun monitor or keyboard.
Posts: 1 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture