homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Usenet Search Engine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Usenet Search Engine
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 16:54      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was contemplating doing a search engine solely for Newsgroups as a 3rd yr degree project.

Has anyone done anything similar?

Could anyone point me to any good sites for help and usenet crawlers etc

Cheers

Posts: 127 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2007 21:53      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Understand that I don't mean to be an ass by bringing these things up, but...

Have you even tried doing a search for information about search engine crawlers?

If not, why not? If you have, how did you miss the rather obvious articles that were filled with references to other sources of information that I saw on the first search attempt I made.

... and if you can't or won't use a search engine to find this stuff yourself, are you sure you want to try to write a search engine?

... and the value in doing a project like this is in having experienced the process of being given a project (apparently one that you give yourself in this case), researching how to accomplish that project and then doing it... so handing you better answers than you can find on your own would make it rather pointless, would it not?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
HubmaN
Geek Larva
Member # 7554

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted October 11, 2007 06:59      Profile for HubmaN   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt you've realized that it isn't easy. Usenet does NOT work like the internet - every single Usenet server hosts a "cache" of the entire Usenet itself (often in big server - clusters, look at Google!), and when one server has a new message posted into it, it gradually sends it to every single other Usenet server - or cluster.

Searching it, however, is a different thing. Not only do you have to index it in a readable form, you're going to have to find a way to crawl through it all in a matter of seconds. That requires funding and resources. A lot of it. Please do research things before you announce them to us for us to do entirely for you.

*cough*NOOB!*cough*

--------------------
"...they will see us waiting on such great heights, come down now, they'll say..."

Posts: 29 | From: Bangkok, Thailand | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 07:07      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh screw it... nevermind what I had written here

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 08:07      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HubmaN:

*cough*NOOB!*cough*

I for one encourage you mike to ask questions. It is one way of learning. Just don't take it to harshly if you do not come prepared asking questions. I thought the whole point of this aska a geek forum was for peopel with less experience to ask a person with more. Being a geek of chemistry, I didn't find that question uninformed or stupid.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 11, 2007 19:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

*cough* Google Groups anyone? (ne Deja News)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 12, 2007 06:54      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Cough Cough*

You all have really valid points but here's why I couldn't look into it, I WAS ON VACATION! (net was $10 an hour)

It was just an idea i had because I was reading the Google story.

The project is to last 6 months or so

So you guys think its a none starter??

Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 13, 2007 06:43      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What i hoped to do was to find an ASP script that would place the info into a Mysql database and have a web based frontend to run the search.

I'll only have two or three groups to start with and once everything is runnnig start to build from there.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture