homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Digital SLR with Time Lapse

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Digital SLR with Time Lapse
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 3 posted September 23, 2007 20:00      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need help picking out a digital camera.
It needs to fit these specs:
6 mega pix or better
SLR
Built in time lapse.

I am a functioning idiot when it comes to photography, so any help would be appreciated.

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2007 21:09      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think DSLRS come with time-lapse, from what I understand of it that is a video footage technique.

However the rest of it is present(or bettered) in all the currently available DSLR models that I know of.

From personal experience I can recommend the Sony Alpha 100, But I am not sure how you would go about doing time lapse with it. [Confused]

Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2007 21:56      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not built into the camera but with the included software (Remote Capture) you can connect a Canon Digital Rebel (and many other Canon DSLRs & Point & Shoots) to your computer via USB and set it up to do time lapse.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2007 22:13      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then Perhaps a canon is more suitable, as the sony software doesn't offer such functionality.

what are you intending on photographing btw hal9000?

--------------------
That which doesn't kill you can only make you stronger. Therefore I am damn near indestructable.

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2007 04:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time lapse or a timer?

If you really mean time lapse, then you could just use the slowest shutter speed. Or, you could make yourself a pinhole camera. [Smile]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted September 24, 2007 08:26      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To fit your basic needs a Nikon D50 or D70 or a Cannon Rebel XT would be perfect for that.

As for the time lapse. If it's the affect that I think your talking about (much like the video technology, only still) follow Rhonnies advice. Note though, the slower your shutter speed the longer it stays open so your subject will have to be very still to be in focus and you'll likely need a tripod. If you want your subject to be blurred then you'll just need the tripod. This is good for night shots into heavy traffic and such but for day shots, you'll need to make other adjustments to your settings in order to prevent from extreme over exposure. Decreasing your ISO to maybe 50 or 100 (depending on what you can) and adjusting your aperture accordingly to get good exposure.

It can be a tricky beast and until you really get to know your camera you'll find yourself taking the same shot maybe 20 times and even when you get to know it, sometimes 5 times till you get the shot you want.

You'll also want to look into some quailty lenses too.

Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2007 17:08      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jace,

I think he is trying to achieve time-lapse video using a series of still shots, rather then a long exposure single still shot. I may have misunderstood however.

BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2007 06:56      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the Nikon D80 I have. never really tried time-lapse. But check out dpreview.com for technical reviews of various models. The more you know the better your choice will be. [Smile]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2007 09:43      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Canon Rebel and Nikon Dxx are both good cameras. The MightyClub household bought a Digital Rebel (partly because we already have Canon lenses) and we're plenty happy with it. My brother-in-law bought a Nikon D80 (70?), which is also a fine camera. My only problem with the Nikon is it seems like the zoom ring runs backwards. I intuitively want to turn the ring clockwise to zoom in. Maybe that's just because I learned on a Canon.

I've heard reports that the newest Rebel is a major leap forward, but I'm sure Nikon has a fierce competitor either out already or in the wings.

edit: Stupid Safari beta. Control backspace effectively works as "delete-everything-from-here-forward-but-we'll-still-show-you-the-text-so-you-don't-know-we-didn't-implement-it-correctly"

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2007 13:23      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having owned both SLRs (the XT only for about a week), the XTi isn't that much more advanced. The major new feature is an automatic sensor cleaner. Since a huge amount of dust somehow ended up on my XT from day 1 (and I was very careful attaching the lens), I decided that this alone was worth the extra $100.

The body isn't as important as the lens, though. Good lenses can run you more than the camera itself. Especially telephotos. If you plan on shooting dark scenes, get one with a low minimum f/stop, since you'll either need to open up the aperture or increase the exposure time to properly expose dark scenes. f/2.2 or below is good. There's a nice f/1.8 50mm prime lens for $75 that might compensate for a zoom lens with a higher minimum. I've taken shots at f/1.8 with that lens that look like they were taken at 3 PM when they were really taken an hour after sunset. (It's both creepy and interesting, because the reflections in the scene look diminished for the perceived light level. Doubly so if you take pictures of lit streetlamps, since those aren't supposed to be on in the daytime).

My first piece of advice is that the exposure provided by the camera's metering is only a suggestion [Smile] . If you can't get a Rebel to expose correctly, go into "P" mode (or any manual mode), hold the aperture button, and rotate the big wheel to offset the exposure. Exposure bracketing is useful as well. Remember that you can always delete bad shots later, so take as many as you need to until you're satisfied.

You don't need to go crazy with filters, but I would at least recommend a circular polarizer. It has all sorts of uses, mainly for bringing out the blue in skies or negating reflections (Due to Brewster angles). Simple color tone (warming, cooling, etc.) filters can almost always be replicated in software, but a polarizer usually cannot.

If you're doing long exposure shots, you may also want to look at a neutral density filter. It lowers the light level entering the camera, which allows you to close your aperture (raise your f/stop), allowing you more depth-of-field. Since you're exposing for a long time anyway, you'll probably have the aperture closed as far as it will go (highest f/stop), unless you're shooting in very dark scenes.

Don't be afraid to adjust ISO when needed. Internal noise reduction is getting very good, and you can usually shoot up to ISO 400 without any noticeable noise.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2007 16:32      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, I was thinking of the new 40D, which is a step up in price level from the XT/XTi.

Personally, I wasn't impressed with the XTi on paper, so I went with the older XT. No problems with dust on the sensor yet after a year of steady use. But I agree a self-cleaning sensor is a nice thing to have.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 10 posted September 27, 2007 05:50      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok see this video i posted on youtube....
code:
 <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRKhuR8SrZU"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gRKhuR8SrZU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object> 

http://www.youtube.com/v/gRKhuR8SrZU

I wish i had more field of veiw on the sunset. and better picture quality on the moon set.
the sunrise that day just sucked so i dont know what i want there

--------------------

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2007 06:41      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want more FOV, you need a wider angle lens. I like to shoot sunsets like that at 18mm, myself, but that could be overkill.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 27, 2007 23:53      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
two ways you can do it.

1) iMovie (not the 08 version though), has a capture time lapse mode, however you need a movie camera that is compatible with iMovie. Some Canon Digital cameras can load into iMovie directly but not sure off the top of my head which one. I'll see if I can track that down for you when I have some time.

2) Using webcam software. EvoCam has a timed capture mode that will work with your camcorder or digitial camera if it is supported.

a third alternative is to write an applescript to do what you're talking about. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm sure with the Canon Remote Capture software and a little applescripting you could create a folder full of time lapsed photos.

I'll post more if I have the chance to look for more info for you.

Cheers
-TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 11 posted September 28, 2007 15:32      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHOOOHA $8000.00 for a digital SLR... hell the last car i bought didnt cost that much.

anyways... EOS-1Ds Mark III is way out of my range. but it seems to have the features i like.

I found this PowerShot SD850 IS it has built in time lapse recording at 1 or 2 sec. intervals

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture