homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Windows FAT32 Disk Checks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Windows FAT32 Disk Checks
TetrisRock
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 07:39      Profile for TetrisRock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can I ask a question here about my computer as i'm unsure what to do with it, just incase someone else has had a similar problem. For just over a couple of weeks, the laptop has been asking for me to disk check it, which I can usually skip, but sometimes when you've been skipping them a lot, the computer will run slow.

But when I let it disk check, it can take anything from 10 mins to 45 mins which is really inconvenient. I really need to take note of the things it is actually doing but i've noticed it doing stuff to prefetch files, CHK files and has been sorting out bad clusters in certain files. But i've noticed that similar or the same files are getting done in each disk check which means the disk check can't really be "working."

I thought it might be a virus and I scanned my computer and did find one, and quarantined it. But that was yesterday and my computer once again did a lengthy disk check today.

Does anyone know what I could do?

Posts: 15 | From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alexia
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 11067

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 07:49      Profile for Alexia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trojan horse, is a virus, i had a similar problem and they fix it cleaning this virus!

--------------------
Alexia

Posts: 3 | From: Portugal | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
TetrisRock
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 08:28      Profile for TetrisRock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So you suggest another scan for viruses then?
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 08:32      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FAT32?

If I may? How old is this computer?

I can't think of the last time I have seen a system using FAT32 purposefully in quite a while. So if this system is over 5 years old, you may just be due for a new drive. Thankfully drives for laptops have dropped in price a lot. Though they are still spendier than a comparable desktop one.

Try using a bootdisk to do a full scan of the drive. dskchk /p/r and see what it says.

I am almost willing to bet that it's on its last legs and you may be best served doing a full back up and replacing the drive.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TetrisRock
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 10:07      Profile for TetrisRock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
[QB] FAT32?

I can't think of the last time I have seen a system using FAT32 purposefully in quite a while. So if this system is over 5 years old, you may just be due for a new drive. Thankfully drives for laptops have dropped in price a lot. Though they are still spendier than a comparable desktop one.

I got it for my birthday in March 2005. If it was over five years old i'd just be replacing the thing.
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 13:47      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like the disk is going to go paws up pretty soon. I'ld install a new disk and use this for extra temporary space until it gives up the ghost.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 18:48      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Average MTBF on a hard drive is about 3 years or 300000 hrs. I usually replace at 3 years... besides, new drives are cheaper and sometimes a little speedier.... All you've got to loose is your data. weigh your choices wisely.

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 3 posted September 17, 2007 21:16      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drive Caddy the old drive drive caddy example
drop in a new one.

Might i suggest dual booting your system one side Linux the other Windows.

I find this quite handy espcially if i need to repair the box because its usally windoz that crashes really bad.

boot in to linux run the fixes from there with the NTFS write switch turned on.
boom back in operation,

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2007 07:38      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
FAT32?

Try using a bootdisk to do a full scan of the drive. dskchk /p/r and see what it says.

I am almost willing to bet that it's on its last legs and you may be best served doing a full back up and replacing the drive.

Don't you mean chkdsk /p /r? Or is there a dskchk command too? [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2007 12:31      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
FAT32?

I can't think of the last time I have seen a system using FAT32 purposefully in quite a while.

Correct me if Im wrong, but Im assuming the "purposefully" is like a dual boot windows linux system with no 3rd party disk read/write software...

Otherwise, I know several ppl that use FAT 32 for dual boots. Actually I think someone on here lead me to it...

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2007 22:51      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FAT for a dual boot system is one instance. But even then I wouldn't advise using it for a boot partition. My preferred method, if I have to, is to use a FAT 32 section for shared files only.

And Metasquares: doh!

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture