homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » What do you use for a personal/business organizer? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What do you use for a personal/business organizer?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted September 15, 2007 13:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm just trying out a new program called LifeShaker, to see if can help me get organized. It's kinda goofie, very version 1.0, but nice and simple, so I thought I'd give it a 14 day try.

Currently I use pads of paper to write down lists and To-Dos and such, but I end up with tons of lists all over the house. [crazy] I've never been able to do it all electronically... the pad of paper just seems more natural, but I thought I'd ask what do some of you use, if anything?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2007 14:16      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just the classic sticky note's - there is always a pad near my computer and everyday I go through at least a couple to organize my life.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2007 14:21      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
post its and *gasp* Outlook. (I have to, it being work computer and all, but as microsoft products go I have never hed a complaint with outlook. updates nicely into my google calender.)

Not that outlook would work on an apple.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2007 16:46      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, it's a Palm T/X and the Palm Desktop app.

I had previously bought a Sony Ericsson T610 phone to use with iSync & iCal, but the tiny screen just didn't do it for me.

Mrs Grummash had been using a Palm Zire and that seemed quite interesting, but I wanted more functionality. I was a bit unsure about buying the T/X, as I didn't know if I would really use it that much, and the only people I had seen using PDAs were real XXnkers - but the lure of a Wi-fi handheld was too hard to resist.

Now I've had my T/X for a while I couldn't imagine being without it. I can pick up e-mails, browse teh intarwebbys, do a budget spreadsheet each month, store many many lists...it really does a good job of supporting my failing memory.

Palm desktop is not a pretty app, however. BUT - it is rock solid and does calendars/ to-do tasks/ contact lists very well indeed.

And no, I don't work for Palm. [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2007 16:55      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Macs, it's Entourage, Ash. I was loathe to use it, but we had to at my old job. It's actually a rather handy piece of software.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2007 18:48      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8.5x11 yellow note pad. It goes with me everywhere
in the office and shop. I'm gone and working while
the real IT guys are still fumbling with treos and
laptops.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 15, 2007 21:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a little spiral notebook I use when it's not lost. I also have a calendar on my wall.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2007 12:20      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the Moleskine Pocket Weekly Notebook. It's small enough to carry around, but big enough to note down lots of stuff. It's also sturdy, good quality paper, and IMO, has a pretty sexy, classic design. I think the weekly notebook is the best type to go for, as it has a week to view, together with a blank lined page, so you can keep your lists and notes together with your appointments.

Just my 2 cents, of course [Smile]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 16, 2007 20:49      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know some people who like hotplan. Personally, I use a combination of things. My business calendar is kept in google calendar, because others at work have to see it. For todo list items, I used tada lists (37signals.com) for a while, but mostly just I mail myself my updated todo list each day.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 05:02      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried everything above and more. I always end up misplacing, losing, or crashing my list. I read an article about lifeshaker recently and have been tempted to try it. Let us know how it goes for you.
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted September 17, 2007 12:38      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use Mrs. Tweety. She uses stickies (I swear, I should invest in any company that makes stickies). Also, we both use pleatherette bound notebooks (small, something like 4.5" x 6"). I take better notes than the Mrs, but she remembers everything important. Seems to be a good trade off, I write down all the non-essential details, she remembers the when, where and why.

I'm thinking that somehow she's getting the short end on this one.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dajt
Mini Geek
Member # 627

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 13:54      Profile for dajt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use my phone, because it's the only thing I always have with me. It's built in organizer isn't very good, but a good one I don't have on me is useless.

--------------------
We've succeeded when a Linux release is front page news.

Posts: 98 | From: Boston MA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 15:02      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
Palm desktop is not a pretty app, however. BUT - it is rock solid and does calendars/ to-do tasks/ contact lists very well indeed.

Of course it originally started life as Claris Organizer, which was not just a very good PIM in its day, but also a bit of a showcase for the then exciting new thing, Applescript. You could script it to do pretty useful stuff in them days, though it has received no updates for many many years now and most of the Applescript stuff for it is also sadly broken.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 17, 2007 17:06      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have an electronic organizer, (I wait till January, and buy the paper diaries at half price) and this is why...

A friend worked in a place where several co-workers had the same model palm pilots, which often caused confusion at meetings when there were 5 or 6 identical gadgets on the table, so he asked Mrs Druid if she'd engrave a design on the outside to make his easily identifiable.

They sat down and sketched the design, then he opened his bag and produced his technological wonder, covered in little yellow post-it notes.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2007 06:58      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just had my Palm stolen (and a bunch of other stuff), but I'm actually not noticing the loss that much.

In terms of organisation, I'd recommend some reading, try reading both "Getting Things Done" by David Allen and "Do It Tomorrow" by Mark Forster. Both of them have fairly geek friendly (but different to each other) organisational systems, and it's possible either one will appeal to you. Or give you some ideas to nut out your own. Much like computer systems, personal organisation systems are best thought out at a higher level before the implementation details like tools are considered.

Oh, and if you're a procrastinator, "The Now Habit" by Neil Fiore is a brilliant read (and proposes yet another personal organisation system)

Edit: just reread your post, and you seem to like using paper. Check out the Hipster PDA , which is an implementation of GTD using index cards.

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 18, 2007 14:40      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Despite being a geek I have to confess to not using any sort of GTD or "to do" stuff - I write stuff on the back of whatever is to hand and then lose it [Big Grin]

Many years ago I bought into the whole 80s Filofax thing... and actually did use it and it was great - then my life changed and somehow I have never got back into the swing of being that focussed since... partly becuase I just don't have to manage that much "stuff" now... (also the fracturing of such stuff over 'phones, PDAs, etc just gets to be more work not less...)

When I need to care about such stuff enough again I will want something that can do it all in one place a - Nintendo DS type toy that can serve as a "remote access" point that will ssh to my home and work Macs to get stuff rather than trying to hold "synched copies" local to itself - maybe iPhone will get there in time... or maybe not - luckily right now I am not really bothered

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
AlexTheStampede
Newbie Larva
Member # 10533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 19, 2007 08:07      Profile for AlexTheStampede     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:

When I need to care about such stuff enough again I will want something that can do it all in one place a - Nintendo DS type toy that can serve as a "remote access" point that will ssh to my home and work Macs to get stuff rather than trying to hold "synched copies" local to itself - maybe iPhone will get there in time... or maybe not - luckily right now I am not really bothered

Err... ever thought about a Symbian smartphone? I've already been SSHing in my Macs like that for quite a while, you know.

--------------------
I don't like signatures :P

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 03, 2007 10:24      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just an update... my LifeShaker trial expired today. I won't be buying it.

It was kinda fun to use, and it did help me for the first week or so, but I slowly forgot to use it on a regular basis.

But the 30 bucks to register it was the clincher for this old cheapwad.

Note to LifeShaker marketing... $9.95 would be a better price for this, at least until you get more features.

RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2007 10:34      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry for the mildly necrotic post; however, I was looking at the Leopard Guided Tour and noticed that they have some advanced features in the new Mail and iCal that allow for on-the-fly todo listing. Maybe that feature would work out for you.

In typical fanboy fashion, I have already ordered the family pack. I'm looking forward to trying it out!

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 21, 2007 11:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RScottV, I saw those too, and I got all Reality Distortion Field'd too, and I now know that Leopard is the answer to my dreams! [Razz]

but it's true, those improvements definitely look handy, especially as I'm in Mail half the day. [Geek]

btw; I did try out What ToDo, and Midnight Inbox, but they didn't grab me either.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2007 12:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scrap paper. (No, that's not a Web 2.0 site!)

I've been making a big push to get more things done...and just cross stuff off, and copy 'pending' items to new notes and *finish* them. I'm sorry, but I'm not terribly organized. ;P Organizational tools and I just don't get along...it cramps my style. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 07, 2007 10:49      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK an update... today I registered TaskPaper, a super minimalistic app that turns out to be super useful because it is so minimal.

http://hogbaysoftware.com/products/taskpaper
Free 14 day trial download available.

It's essentially an onscreen piece of paper, and it doesn't get much simpler than that. I seem to always lose my paper lists, but this one travels with me and my PowerBook.

Which reminds me, I have a TON to do!
Damn app! [Mad] [Big Grin]

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 08, 2007 04:15      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My phone come PDA for calendars/notes/contacts/email/photos/music/data etc (syncing to Thunderbird via BirdieSync and from there onto gcal/gmail). This is because I then only need to carry one bit of kit to do just about everything I need. The one exception is todo lists, which live on scrap paper - the satisfaction of actually crossing through a completed task is worth being low-tech for [Smile]
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
sydneygirl
Geek Larva
Member # 11317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2007 17:54      Profile for sydneygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried using something electronic (the best windows program I found was called My Life Organized) but I found I still kept printing lists out constantly from the program, and forgetting stuff if I didn't have my lappy near. So I switched back to paper and now use The Emergent Task Planner template from www.davidseah.com. I print out one for every day and they keep me super organized as I can have meetings, tasks and doodles all in once place. Old ones all get clipped together and old tasks carried over to the next day's template. Absolutely awesome [Wink]
Posts: 29 | From: Sydney Australia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 15, 2007 18:02      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually use the backs of junk mail. Generally it's a blank, white 8.5" x 3.5" piece of paper and the contents (which are still there since I don't open the junk mail) provide just enough thickness to make it possible to write on while holding it in my hand. When I'm done with it, I throw away anything that's not recyclable and dump the rest in a recycle bin.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture