homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Web Browser Upload

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Web Browser Upload
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted September 10, 2007 16:08      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just curious: Why don't web browsers give you an upload progress bar when you upload a file somewhere?

I know it's possible to implement one on your website by doing some crazy XMLHttpRequest magic every few seconds, but why on earth doesn't the browser do it by default? I assume it's something to do with the way uploading works, cause I haven't seen it on any browser I've used.

So maybe one of you could explain it to me?

(Posted while waiting for a 10MB file to upload to YouTube.)

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2007 10:13      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm no expert, but I would guess its because the browser can't tell the difference between a file upload and any other request. A file upload is just a regular POST with a giant gob of data, right? Though you would think a helpful browser could slap a progress bar on any upstream transfer that takes longer than, say, five seconds.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
AlexTheStampede
Newbie Larva
Member # 10533

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2007 14:07      Profile for AlexTheStampede     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Opera has the progress bar that can pop up from the bottom of the UI, and that gives more infos than any other puny browser will ever do.
Sure, it won't give you a progress bar for upload, but if you keep an eye on the amout of transferred data, it's extremely comfy.

--------------------
I don't like signatures :P

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 11, 2007 18:04      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh...at the time you upload the file, your browser knows exactly how big the file is. After all, it's iterating through the contents while sending it. It's certainly able to know where it is in sending it, otherwise nothing would work. However, I don't think anyone really gave any consideration to this [in browser design].

You could search bugzilla.mozilla.org, though. [Smile]

P.S.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=255014
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=249338

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 12, 2007 06:06      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. Thanks for the replies.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture