homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Powerbook screen won't wake up

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Powerbook screen won't wake up
kermit_the_mac
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 10978

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted September 09, 2007 00:40      Profile for kermit_the_mac         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I've got a 12in powerbook G4. Had a massive party last week and the next day it started playing up. It starts up fine but if I close the lid and open it again [i.e. it goes to sleep] the screen wont wake up. It cycles between black and blue but doesn't wake up. What I have noticed is that if I plug in a mini-DVI to video out adapter it comes alive again.

One thing to note is that after the party, the left side of the computer (around the caplock, shift, a keys - and I suspect also around the mini-dvi port) smelt suspiciously of alcohol (and were a touch sticky).

Any ideas?

Posts: 3 | From: Australia | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2007 08:19      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eyah.... I guess you know deep down that what is wrong is some goon spilt some icky drink on your Mac... Unless Macmcseboy or one of the others here has a better suggestion I would say first of all be thankful there is not more damage and second you may need to take it to a professional...

Sorry I don't have any more useful advice... [Frown]

(PS - my wife once splashed tea on/into a brand new KB... and after that the Tab, 1, Q, A, and S keys were dead... and nothing I tried did any good...)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2007 09:55      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I have a dead LCD - only thing I can do is either find a shop which can repair it (apparently a store needs to be specially licensed to fix monitors) or send it back to benQ.

I think the question would be, is it that alcohol got into the system and is causing the problem or is it something completely different. Either way if no one here or nothing on the internet offers a quick fix then you should take it in to be looked at. If possible try and go to a local repair shop instead of a Futureshop or something, because most large retail computer stores will cost you 50 dollars just for them to look at the computer. While if you go to your local mom and pop store they will more then likely give you a quote and then give you the option to back out or not.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2007 17:24      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stevenback7

don't forget to check prices against what a 2nd hand unit off e-bay or similar might cost or even a new one if you are out of warranty... unfortunately it is often cheaper to replace than repair.

Also don't forget to slip any local shops or even User Groups/Computer Clubs the "nod" that you are looking to replace the item - sometimes 2nd user ones appear that those guys would happily shift on pretty cheap...

Oh and of course scan the ads in the local "smalls" sometimes bargains you wouldn't expect can be had by taking an older "complete system"

I have managed to bust an LCD before now... and it is not fun (except perhaps the interest of watching what happens as the LCD goes gradually to hell - that can be strangely fascinating...)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

kermit_the_mac
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 10978

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 09, 2007 17:53      Profile for kermit_the_mac         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing is my LCD is working fine. It just won't wake up from sleep unless it thinks there is an external monitor attached. Do the powerbooks only use a soft switch for recognising an external display or is there a hard swtich somewhere?
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 06:08      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a switch somewhere in the laptop itself. I don't know where to be honest, but another member here recently had a similar problem.

If you know your way around a screwdriver and such, I would do a search for a service manual for your laptop and try to dismantle it and clean it out. There is a possibility that the switch is gummed up with some of that drink.

Otherwise you will have to pay going rates to get it cleaned up and parts replaced/repaired.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 15:55      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sleep switch in iBooks is a magnetic one positioned about halfway down the right hand side of the display bezel IIRC (where is Macmcseboy when we need him?)

There is a magnet in the display half and a corresponding one under the top of the main case - can't say about the Powerbook but I doubt it is much different.

--------------------

kermit_the_mac
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 10978

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 16:25      Profile for kermit_the_mac         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The computer itself wakes up from sleep, just not the LCD. If there is a hard switch @ the mini-dvi port then that might be it since it works fine when it thinks there is an external monitor attached. I'm pretty sure someone spilt sticky punch around that area so it kind of adds up..... unless there isn't a hard switch in which case back to square one.

I've never pulled a mac apart before so i'm a bit wary. Might just have to give in and take it to someone who vaguely knows what they're doing.

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 10, 2007 17:34      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
stevenback7

don't forget to check prices against what a 2nd hand unit off e-bay or similar might cost or even a new one if you are out of warranty... unfortunately it is often cheaper to replace than repair.

Also don't forget to slip any local shops or even User Groups/Computer Clubs the "nod" that you are looking to replace the item - sometimes 2nd user ones appear that those guys would happily shift on pretty cheap...

Oh and of course scan the ads in the local "smalls" sometimes bargains you wouldn't expect can be had by taking an older "complete system"

I have managed to bust an LCD before now... and it is not fun (except perhaps the interest of watching what happens as the LCD goes gradually to hell - that can be strangely fascinating...)

Yeah apparently there is no computer store in my area that can fix computer monitors. I think I will attempt to see if there is any place in the big city but if not the LCD will sit in my closet until the next time I make a trip to Toronto where BenQ has an office (I'm not paying shipping to send it to Toronto).

I will look out for cheap LCD monitors - my brother got his free with his new computer. But I'm not going to spend more then a 100 bucks when I'm getting a laptop in a year for University anyways.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 13, 2007 12:53      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried zapping the PRAM? (opt-apple-p+r) at boot until it chimes at least twice? (I usually let it chime 3 times)
There is a sleep magnet in the top case of the 12 inch powerbook in the keyboard well, and also in the right side of the screen, but if the computer sleeping and waking up from sleep should be controlled by the same switch. I have had my computer occasionally fail to turn the screen on when waking from sleep, but often this is fixed by sleeping it and waking it up again.

incidentally I disassembled my 12 inch Powerbook a few weeks ago to upgrade the hard drive. Glorious Glorious 77 GB of free space [Smile] Taking off the keyboard isn't too bad, taking off the top case so you could potentially clean ports is a pain and not something I would recommend to a novice, for the keyboard, you need to remove the F1, F2, F11 and F12 keys (they pop off relatively easily) and remove the two phillips screws under the little stickers (the stickers peel off with a small flathead screwdriver). If that is the area where the punch may have been spilled, the F1 and F2 keys control the brightness on the monitor.
When the screen is dark, if you shine a flashlight on it or something is it just the backlight that is off? Can you still make out anything happening on the screen? Also keep in mind that if you do any of this work yourself you are voiding your warranty if you still have one.

PM me if you want more disassembly details

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture