homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » cell phone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: cell phone
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2007 16:02      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I recently bought the Samsung m500 (SPH - M500). The cell phone is great and I love it dearly. One problem the manual says the phone has an average battery life on standby of 8 days. Well I know that you usually need to cut this number in half and that is how you get your actual battery life. Well apparently they do these battery tests with nothing turned on - and I mean nothing. Well my question is what are some practical things you guys do to save battery life on your phones?

Iím usually able to charge the phone every night but if I have a long call in the middle of the day I want to know that my battery will last the rest of the day or if Iím on a long trip that the battery will last at least two days.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2007 17:56      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually itís not all just applications running on the phone.

Here are some other aspects of battery drain you should consider.

ē It has allot to do with how often it syncs on the data control channel,
ē How far from the "cell site*" you are. (The further you are the more power up to 6 tenths of a watt to transmit)
ē If you are roaming, in a sister system. (This normally sets the phone in to sync mode, to sync about every 20 mins or so then it will require it to reregister on that roaming system)
ē What the freq range is, NAMPS, GSM, or 1800Mhz only. (This is carrier controlled, and lower frequencies require more modulation power.)
ē Applications on the phone requiring data, (Like active sync checking email every 5 mins.)

Second part of this is that you need to ensure the condition of your battery is kept up. For Nickel Metal Hydride its best to drain them completely before recharging, even with todayís "smart" chargers they donít do a good job because they use a pulsing charge instead of draining then charging. (However my cordless drill does drain then charge the key is the big heat sink)
Lithium Ion batteries like to rapid charge, however if you drain it completely it will never charge, someone told me once that the polarities change, that is why it wonít take a charge, I donít know how true that is.

Lastly the day you buy the battery is its best day, every charge after that shortens its life.

* ALL mobile phones are cellular in nature, meaning that it will hand off from one cell site to the next as the signal degrades on one and increases on the other. So donít be sold by a load of BS from the carrier that it is not a cell phone, because it is.

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2007 19:16      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah well when I went into Bell World they told me to turn off roaming and that, that will save me a lot of battery life. I fully charged it this morning and so far it has gone 12 hours and it still says it is at full strenght. I am still going to turn it off over night and continue my experiment in the morning because I fear it will suddenly die on me. And even though I still have 2 days of store warranty and about 353 days of Samsung warranty I don't want to go to the trouble of getting a free replacement battery.

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2007 03:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stevenback7 ______________________ Figure that you will get 500 recharge cycles out of the battery. Some are better some aren't.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2007 06:08      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
stevenback7 ______________________ Figure that you will get 500 recharge cycles out of the battery. Some are better some aren't.

Exactly - So if I have to recharge it every night so that I know it will make it through the next day then I will have to buy a new battery in about a year and a half. I prefer the battery last a good solid 48 hours on standby.

--------------------

csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 02:54      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stevenback7:
Hello,

Iím usually able to charge the phone every night but if I have a long call in the middle of the day I want to know that my battery will last the rest of the day or if Iím on a long trip that the battery will last at least two days.

Don't forget the alert option you choose will make a significant difference .. loud vs standard ringtone, or ringing versus vibrate or ringing vs silent. This of course varies according to how many calls/texts you receive...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 13:30      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biggest battery killer for me with the cell is "no signal" areas. If I drive through spotty coverage my battery usage goes up. Worst is if I throw it in a metal drawer at work, the battery is mostly drained in 12 hours or so. This all goes back to the fact that the phone transmits with more power if you have a weak signal. (because the tower is farther away or more attenuated) For many phones, the biggest power drains are transmitting (it does this every so often when the phone is on - just to check in with the tower), then display backlight, and then writing to flash.

Oh - and be sure to turn off blue-tooth. That is another radio transmitter (and user of power)

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture