homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Sun Boxes, BIOS, and connections

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sun Boxes, BIOS, and connections
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 12:24      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I recently got a Sunfire series enterprise-class server, and a Sun workstation.

Only issue is, neither have any OS on them. Any general things I need to note, other than slapping a CD of Solaris in them?

Also, with the server, its console access. While I 'm pretty sure Im connecting to it right, its not putting any output out from the box's BIOS system (yes I know its a different type than your standard BIOS). Im running the console out its console port A with an adaptor to a rolled-type ethernet cable->serial interface to a Win XP computer running hyperterminal. Settings are 9600baud, 8bit data, 1bit stop, and Ive flipped between no hardware control, and XON/XOFF, with no result.

Thanks in advance

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 28, 2007 15:43      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you tried a striaghtforward null-modem cable between the serial ports? I've used this countless times between Win machine (using hyperterminal) and sparc box.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2007 22:56      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
give this a try
web page

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 02, 2007 19:12      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The box doesnt have a straight serial port, and I dont have a serial to parallel/console port adaptor for it.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
hal9000
Geek
Member # 9896

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2007 00:02      Profile for hal9000   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
can you post specs of this box model etc.
Thx

--------------------
P.E.B.K.A.C. if you can fix this, you can fix anything.

Posts: 183 | From: VA under a bridge living in a van. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2007 09:59      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, a bit of fun, I finally figured out which type it is, as the front coverplate with its name was ripped off before I got it. Its a Sun Enterprise 220R server. Specs here http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/E220R/spec.html

Im thinking I might try to plug in a keyboard and see if I get a response out of it. Also am calling some friends, see if I can get a parallel to serial plug do to the direct connection trick as sugessted.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2007 19:59      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Parallel to serial is just plain wrong. The specs you point to clearly say it has 2 serial ports with DB-25 connectors. The 25 pin connector that people think is a parallel printer port is really the correct connector for a serial interface. Parallel I/O was done with a 36 contact Centronics connector. The IBM PC messed it all up by putting serial on a DB-9 and parallel on the DB-25. What you simply need is a DB-9 to DB-25 serial adaptor. Radio shack or MicroCenter should have them.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 12:11      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quantumfluff:
Parallel to serial is just plain wrong. The specs you point to clearly say it has 2 serial ports with DB-25 connectors. The 25 pin connector that people think is a parallel printer port is really the correct connector for a serial interface. Parallel I/O was done with a 36 contact Centronics connector. The IBM PC messed it all up by putting serial on a DB-9 and parallel on the DB-25. What you simply need is a DB-9 to DB-25 serial adaptor. Radio shack or MicroCenter should have them.

Ok, so whats the difference between a parallel to serial converter and a DB-9 to DB-25 thingy? I thought they are the same things...

Yes technically for all purposes a parallel port is a type of serial interface. Im not taking a printer cable if thats what you think. Im intending to use a serial (DB9) to a parallel (DB25) converter.

*edit*
Something like this right?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120156115056&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 14:21      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You will have a vast difference in pin-outs. Don't forget you need a null-modem serial cable -- not a standard serial cable (i.e., one you might use to connect to a modem). They have different pin-to-pin mappings. Also, your Sun box may be configured to only allow a terminal session via the serial port (I don't know for sure if that's true, but that's the kinda thing one should anticipate). So, strictly speaking serial-to-parallel is not a direct replacement of serial-to-serial -- I mean, it may work, but you're probably better off trying it the conventional way first.

...and a 25-pin serial port is categorically not a parallel port.

p.s. I'm not even sure if hyperterminal supports parallel ports... anyone here know?

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 14:23      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(stupid double post error on my part...sorry.)

Oh -- and apparently, if you cross serial with parallel ports, you risk buggering up your parallel port forever... I've just been told. (They operate at quite different voltages -- those on a serial port being higher.)

--------------------

Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 16:07      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, to correct the confusion among the more technical here, I am taking a serial DB9 port on my laptop, running a (I guess null modem cable) to the Sun Box's console port, which is a serial db25 port. Sorry for the confusion.

I think what I have should work. Ive been running it on hyperterminal with my cisco devices, and its kinda the same setup, cept its a rolled ethernet to serial db9 cable.

I have no intention of running a connection to any "parallel ports". Earlier I meant a db25 port, and I apologize for the confusion caused.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 17:08      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you get anything at all on hyperterminal? 'Cos even though you have no operating system on the Sun box, you should still see BIOS messages and what not.

--------------------

Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2007 18:59      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya, Im not getting anything. I know I should be getting atleast a BIOS prompt, which leads me to a connection issue. There is definatly no OS on it.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 06:05      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. You should be able to see the boot prom messages IF you boot the machine with no keyboard attached. But you might simplify your life by attaching a keyboard and monitor while getting the machine set up. Do you have any video card in it? If it has one of those 13W3 ports, you might be able to find an VGA adapter to it and then put a regular monitor on.
Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2007 17:37      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Na, no keyboard on it. Though reading the documentation, I might put on a sun keyboard, as it displays POST status through the keyboard lights.

Na no graphics card,and I doubt I could get one to work with it from my stash of old graphics cards. I might try though.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture