homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Dublin or Berlin?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dublin or Berlin?
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 11:07      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, much obliged to ya if you can help me out with the following. [Smile]

My boyfriend is from New Zealand, and is currently in the UK with a 2-yr working holiday visa. This expires in January, but he's not ready to go back to NZ yet, and wants to do some traveling in and around Europe. I've decided to go with him. The only problem is, we can't decide where to go...

We've decided that we'd like to work somewhere in Europe for around 6 months, and then travel around the continent using the money we've earned. There are only a few countries that my boyfriend can get into without having to back to NZ to get a new visa. Among these are Ireland and Germany. We both really, really like the idea of Berlin - it seems like an amazing city, and is said to have a great art scene (which would be important for my boyfriend's career). We think we'd have a lot of fun there, but we're worried about how difficult it would be to find work. Neither of us speak German, though we're both willing to learn. Plus, we've had mixed reports on the availability of work over there.

The other option is Dublin, which we're less keen on, as it doesn't sound as interesting or exotic. However, it might well be considered the 'sensible' option, as there's a much stronger chance of finding good jobs and accommodation.

And so, we are stuck. Should we go for fun and frolics in Berlin, and risk being jobless and homeless? Or do we go to Dublin and stick our noses to them there grindstones? Are we selling Dublin short, or do we have unrealistic expectations of Berlin? Does anyone have any experience living/working in/visiting these cities? We have never been to either before.

Thanks in advance for input and ideas... we need to get this sorted out before it drives us both batty [crazy]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 12:42      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine lived in Dublin for a year and loved it.

Thats all I've got.

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 12:57      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah!

Flip a coin and go there. If it sucks. Move. [Razz]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
londonmacgeek
Newbie Larva
Member # 10038

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 13:51      Profile for londonmacgeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta say that berlin is an incredible city, the old east/west divide creates such a diverse culture in the city. I can immagine it is pretty easy to get a job there, simply as english speaking people are valued to keep the countless english tourists happy.

--------------------
I have a blue and white powermac G3... WHAT, like you're so special?

Posts: 8 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 14:01      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wait to be sensible after you have a steady job, kids, a mortgage and all those other things. I say, go for Berlin. Even if you end up jobless/homeless for a while you'll end up with a much better story at the end.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 15, 2007 14:05      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I vote for berlin. I also thnk that Berlin is a very cosmopolitan city and ennlish will help you get a job, depending on what you want to do

what do you want to do?

I have met many english speakers in europe that get by with just english. (I don't know how though) In a white collar office job they may take you only speaking english and because you speak english well(you do don't you?). All my german coworkers have studied english in school for a minimum of five years. It is possible, though you'll get more out of this experience if you learing the language.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 14:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Peebs here, you're young, sensible be damned!

Dublin has some great pubs, but Berlin has far, far more than that, and if you're 'arty' you'll love it.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 14:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... while you're being all young and damning sensibility and stuff, might I suggest that you give applying for a few jobs in Berlin over the internet a shot before you get there?

What sort of jobs are you looking for/qualified to do?

*edit*
You'll probably want to use google translator or something similar if you don't speak German, but you might take a look at this page which features an incredibly ugly Javascript popup ad as well as temporary jobs in Berlin:
http://de.gigajob.com/job/DE-10179/Berlin/Aushilfe.html

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 15:25      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a wonderful dilemma! They are both great places, terrific exciting young cities, and I would be delighted to spend time in either. From what you say Berlin does sound like it would be a greater adventure for you, but Dublin would not be second best either.

I'd go to both! And here's to much love and adventure for the two of you!

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2007 07:11      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quoting Peebs:
Wait to be sensible after you have a steady job, kids, a mortgage and all those other things.
Good point! One thing I forgot to clarify, though, is that, if we go to Berlin, we run the risk of not being able to make enough money to see the rest of Europe, and we're not sure if it's worth it, if we end up missing out on all that lovely stuff. So we're not trying to be too sensible [Wink]

quoting Ashitaka:
what do you want to do?
and Steen:
What sort of jobs are you looking for/qualified to do?
My boyfriend has a Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts, and I will by then have a Masters in Classics. Ideally we'd love something related to our interests, but we're not even remotely fussy. We both have quite a lot of office/admin experience, plus kitchen experience and retail experience. So anything, really, as long as we can survive off it.

Btw, thanks for the link, Steen - very handy [Smile] . We're not really sure when to start thinking about jobs, as it seems unlikely that anyone would want to employ us 6 months in advance of when we would be able to start.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. And thanks TFD and Calli for giving me giddy, delightful images of waltzing around Europe having a whale of a time. Come visit me and I'll get a round in [Big Grin]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2007 08:09      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
...My boyfriend has a Bachelors Degree in Fine Arts, and I will by then have a Masters in Classics...

street performers it is then. [Wink] [evil]

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted August 16, 2007 09:10      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sounds awesome, whichever you choose. Many of my art school friends ended up in Berlin. They seem to like it. Although Dublin I hear is turning into the center of all things geek over there. [Smile]

Nitrozac and I had a similar dilemma... we were in London and were trying to decide whether to spend the next month in Scotland or Ireland.
We ended up going to Iceland. No regrets on that one, it was AMAZING. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 16, 2007 12:36      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Berlin. Living for a few months or a year in a place where you don't speak the native language is too valuable an experience to pass up.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
JamesDublin
Mini Geek
Member # 6177

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 18, 2007 10:29      Profile for JamesDublin   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in Dublin and the Guinness is great - but the weather's crap. It's also quite expensive.

--------------------
I still love my 17" PowerBook G4!

Posts: 56 | From: Toronto, Canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2007 06:19      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd vote for Dublin, but I love Ireland and would kill to live there. Also I don't speak German and don't learn languages easily unlike my rotten brother, who picks them up in a nanosecond.

I would also consider what would you want to do when you weren't in Berlin or Dublin. Did you want to do a bunch of other sight seeing?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2007 11:51      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say be adventurous and go for Berlin. Even if you don't make a lot of money I'm sure you can get around Europe on basically anything. My advice is pick up one of the many books on backpacking in Europe and see what kind of money you will need.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture