homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Disgustipated with IT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disgustipated with IT
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 08:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have begun to realize that I am no longer the person I was seven years ago. Really, I am no longer the man I was just a few months ago.

This morning as I drug my ass up the 215 to head out to work, I began to think about my "career" in IT. You tend to have a lot of thinking time when you drive at rush hour(s) and can occasionally come to some interesting conclusions about your life.

I have begun to hate IT and everything that it involves. I have even gotten to the point where I don't care if I learn about some new tech, or hone my skills in the areas I am already familiar with.
I hate coming home from work with the taste of ass in the back of my throat from the sucking up I have to do in order to keep people happy. I am sick of smiling at each moron that fucks up a system in some new glorious way, when really I want to spit in their faces and inform them that they must be some sort of idiot savant, because I am baffled at how they can get their shoes on everyday, much less figure out how to print a Word document.

I have thought it was the places I have worked, I thought it was the positions I kept, even thought it was the pay I made. But honestly I am just tired of it. I now show up to work and think about getting the hell out the door. I used to not feel this way. There was a time I really enjoyed doing what I do. But really those times have gone away.

So what the hell do I do? Not a single clue. But I do know I need to figure out why I feel the way I do, why this entire industry has disillusioned me to the point of saying, "to hell with it I would rather pound nails then ever work on another computer again."

Has anyone else hit this point? How did you get through it? Or did you pack it in and tell them all off?

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 08:54      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know what you mean -- in many ways it's a sh&t career. I often envy manual types -- the sort of jobs where you don't really have to think -- where you don't constantly suffer from exasperating brain-pressure -- did I handle that error properly? Did I leave behind any pointers? Will it one day all blow the Hell up in my face? The trouble is -- no sooner will one be out of it, I imagine, than we would be reminded of the benefits that we disregard in our haste to be elsewhere. Not all jobs come with a comfy chair, a nice desk, plenty of coffee, and no exposure to the miserable weather outside. And then there's the pay...

But good luck if you decide to chuck it in ... ooh, and let us know what life is really like on the outside, huh? [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 10:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the pick me up, Shroom. You've just left me motivated to get through my really stressful day. ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 11:47      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just call me Mr Sunshine. [Big Grin]

No suggestions though? I mean is it just my natural nomadic tendencies that are currently getting the best of me? Maybe I am really at the onset of my mid-life crisis. If I had money would I go out and buy a corvette and let my slightly graying hair blow in the wind while picking up 20 yr olds?

But truly there are days that I would rather dig out my old welding hood and tools rather than be a keyboard jockey. I just wish I knew what the source of my disgust is. I am just having hard time finding the root of my dissatisfaction.

And surely I am not the first to look at the life of IT and say to themselves "WTF am I doing here?"

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 12:22      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say I have mused over that a few times, even though I am more on the programming side rather than the support one. And I can tell you my brother gave up a well paying programmer job to reconvert into bartending. (Although he is doing neither now.)

Maybe IT isn't your thing - or isn't anymore. Maybe you need a carreer change. I read a story about that yesterday; the bottom line being: follow your dreams, but know what you'd have to sacrifice for them beforehand. As for the carreer change itself, there are plenty of tools and help available. There is the "What Color is your Parachute?" book (well, that's the one I know about, I'm sure there are plenty others), professional help, and job sites may also provide some advice, or at least some idea of what to expect from the new carreers you may consider.

Good luck!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 13:26      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a suggestion, and although it is probably only 'bar-room level psychology' you may want to think it over.

Over the past few months there have been some big changes in your circumstances which just 'came-along' yes? - you didn't go looking for these changes. Before these changes came along you were just as cheesed-off about your IT job as you are now but the difference then was that you could walk out of work at the end of the day and whatever happened between then and the morning would be pretty much under Shroom-control.

But the changes have drastically reduced the control you have over what happens outside of work, and this causes frustration and a sense of having no power. So - if you can no longer exert full control over life outside work, your frustration turns to the 7, 8 or 9 hours each day you spend in work.

Those 7 or more hours are a long time each day if you have no control over how that time is filled. So, from inside comes the idea that you could change what happens during those hours and this would make life better. Because this urge is rooted in the need to assert your sense of who you really are, you start to question what your life is about and whether you are being "true to yourself".

Now, whilst you might hate working in IT, you still like IT itself - it's been a part of what you are about for a long time......but what else are you about? I think this is where the craving for doing some spannering has come from.

If you bailed out of IT in favour of something in engineering you are making the decision about how you earn your money, you are saying something about what floats your boat as a person, and crucially, you are changing the balance of your life so that Shroom is back in the driving seat.

It may be simplistic, and I am in no way trying to trivialise what you are feeling, but it would go some way to explaining how you are feeling.

Whaddya think?

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Alejandrina
Newbie Larva
Member # 10084

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 14:39      Profile for Alejandrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! I am working as a Network Engineer without having the background, and considered changing My software Engineering Education for Networking in order to gain more knowledge in the field. I will absolutely take your life experience so that I don't build the same professional life for myself.
Good luck and Godspeed!

--------------------
Lucero

Posts: 8 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 14:47      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't see how anybody can continue in an unhappy situation for years and years. I see it all the time. Maybe if you let more of yourself out instead of "Munching Buttocks", you'd be less flabbergasticated. Maybe you'd get fired but either way you ain't in the same sichy ation.

When they say "umm My files just disappeared" You might want to say - "Ain't that a quizzer! Just up and disappeared, eh? What kind of reward you offering to get 'em back? Cause I know a guy who can do it - but it'll cost ya!"

Then sing the Dog the Bounty hunter theme!

Point is: I have dug ditches, managed hotels and maintained networks. Don't matter what you do - do it like you.

It is good to switch it up,though - I never do the same job for more than four years. It keeps ya growing.

Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 14:55      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroomy wrote: I mean is it just my natural nomadic tendencies that are currently getting the best of me? Maybe I am really at the onset of my mid-life crisis.

When you're 35-40 they call it a "mid-life crisis," but when you're 20-30 they call it "finding yourself." It's really the same thing, though, the only difference is that you're older now so you're supposed to have "found yourself" already; which IMHFO is bullshit.

I believe that I feel the same way about IT that you do. The fucking morons, the stupid bosses/managers, the deadlines, the headaches, the stress, being on call 24/7, having EVERYONE ask you a question when they find out you're "a computer guy," the cell phone ringing, and nobody comes to you to tell you to have a nice day unless they have a computer question to ask you... why do people put themselves through that? I'll answer that a little further down.

Shroom continued: But truly there are days that I would rather dig out my old welding hood and tools rather than be a keyboard jockey. I just wish I knew what the source of my disgust is. I am just having hard time finding the root of my dissatisfaction.

Amen, brother. There are days when I want nothing more than to put on a cruddy shirt, grab my tools and crawl under the ol' VW. I dream about it during work, think about potential mods during lunch, and get twitchy with anticipation on the drive home. There have been days where I wanted to just toss all this computer shit and maybe become a mechanic or just do some job where I don't have to fscking think so hard all the time. Thing is, if I'm honest with myself, I know I'd get bored with that too.

Thing about IT is that it really takes a special kind of person to /really/ love their job in that field. This, IMHO, is the kind of person that thrives on stress, multitasking, and deadlines; someone that doesn't /like/ to relax or slow down, someone who loves that feeling of having the world resting on their shoulders... the kind of person I was before I found a very special little plant that taught me that the world wouldn't fall apart if I sat down and chilled for a couple hours.

So, then, why do we, as people who don't dig the super-stressful lifestyle, put up with the morons, the bosses, the phone calls, the questions questions questions, the deadlines, the headaches, the stress? The bottom line: it's the money. That's the evil thing about money, it gives the illusion of happiness, at least for a while, and it has a way of trapping good people into a lifetime of doing something they really can't stand. Left unchanged, this situation will eat a person's soul from the inside out... but they'll have money... *shrugs*

When I really stop and think about my job, and how much I despise it on a deep, emotional level.. and how much damage I do to my body with the stress and the fast food and the constant caffeine dose... When I really put it all together and think about it, I feel no better than a whore... an IT whore... doing things that no one should in exchange for money.

How do I get through it? I distract myself.. sometimes with drugs (alcohol, TV, Pr0n... they're all essentially drugs), but I am now making a concerted effort to distract myself with projects (namely the bus) and other more useful endeavors. I also remind myself that I am not stuck in IT forever, that my life /will/ change, I /will/ get my Degree (eventually), and I /can/ still explore what's out there and figure out what I /like/ to do.

You, Mr. Shroom, must take your own advice... happiness will not find you, you must go in search of it. If you don't like your career, change it!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 15:09      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I been so busy to come late to the deal here Shroom....

yes I been in that boat - yes I reached the point of out or breakdown... yes I literally had a stand up shouting match with my boss at the time... yes he pushed one button too many - I told him you can impugn my skills, you can tell me I am rubbish at my job, you can kick my ass 'cause I did wrong... but right here and right now you crossed the line and called my "professional integrity" into question - and that is "one step beyond"

There and then that was the proverbial straw... I could take the rest of the crap - though eventually it was gonna beat me - but I will not (then or ever) have my integrity assaulted so i walked, in the real "classic" shove your job "where the sun don't shine" manner... So Shroom I really do know where you are coming from - at that point I hated Print and IT and computers and everything to do with the whole sorry mess - idiot users, "professional designers" who think Word or Publisher is a proper layout tool etc... (BTW 3 weeks before Xmas is not a good time to walk out of a job!!!)

OK in some ways I was lucky - my ex boss and I had a much calmer chat 2 days later and agreed that although we had both got overheated the decision was for the best - not under the best circumstances but we both felt 200% better for it happening and we parted on "good terms" (i.e. he agreed to give me a good reference if required)

Still I was stuck in the deep brown muck - no job, no money and a family to feed..

I took the Xmas break as extended holiday and prayed... I wangled deals with my mortgage and creditors and then I took a job at a factory - min wage and no need to think. Fun for about 6-8 weeks then the novelty of not thinking wore off - but it gave me a view of how some have to make a crust...

Started looking for another post - anything that would pay better and was not "graphics" or "print" - took a job servicing vacuum cleaners (Kirby's to be more specific). Could have been a good thing but it didn't work out for me - not enough users in a sensible distance - spent more time driving than working, needed to do 10hrs+ a day to make the calls to meet the targets...

bleah... by now i was realising I wanted to go back to what I knew and loved and was good at... Started to look for a "real" job again - got a lot of wasters who wanted "top skills" at min wage prices... told them they were wasting their time!

Did a short stint at van driving - once training week was over I knew it was not my bag...

Good luck brought me my current position - back in the saddle
but on a whole different deal...

OK I sometimes bitch - don't we all - but right now I would not ditch my current post except for an exceptional "upgrade" and even that has to be thought through carefully - my brother changed companies for a 30% pay rise and admits that he and all those that got head hunted with him are bored and still dissatisfied with their new posts (I just say - "yeah, but they pay damn good" - don't bitch too hard)

End point of this ramble? Sometimes you need time out to "get your head straight" and Grummash nailed some of it too... If you don't feel you have any control over anything it all grinds just that bit more and makes the time out thing even more needed...

My only comment is - don't do it like I did... do it by all means, just try to make a planned escape not a "fsck, now what am I gonna do?" one!

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 15:15      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Part of why I am asking is to see what others have done when they hit this point.

I don't really know how people can say that blue collar work is mindless though. Guess that the universe believes that you need a suit and tie to be intelligent. The only reason I left it was due to the feast and famine aspects. Then again it appears that sitting in a cubicle is no longer a safe option.

Chesty you are right about letting people know what I think. But hungry mouths and up to recently child support and such make unemployment a poor option. I got the opportunity to tell people to fuck off and go place uncomfortable objects in their nether regions many times when I was a younger man.

But I guess I may have put this question on the wrong site. It appears that most people enjoy tech work and find it gratifying. Or maybe Grummash is right. My life has done a few flips over the last couple of years. Maybe this frustration is just an extension of being frustrated at life in general.

Hell if I knew for sure, I would not be typing this crap.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Doco

SuperFan!
Member # 371

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 15:35      Profile for Doco   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I can add much useful information - but I'll have a go at it anyway.

I personally have never liked IT. I worked the desk and admin roles when in college. That taught me that I will never take an IT job. Instead I am in engineering and only have taken jobs where I write software for embedded systems. That means that my work ends up as part of some product the company sells and gets money from. It seems to demand a little more respect, I feel better about what I do, and I don't have to answer as many questions about "where do I plug it in?" (I'll tell you where to shove that plug......) [Smile]

Now, for me engineering made sense and worked for me. At least it has so far. I too love to work with my hands over doing the keyboard stuff. Engineering vs IT type work is sometimes subtle in the differences. Both have pointy hair bosses. You have whiney lusers in IT and whiney marketing types in engineering. In Engineering you occasionally get the 2am phone call to support a customer who is using your box and it just stopped working, but I have been able to minimize how much of that I do over the years.

My tires were rotated today by a guy who built a pole shed next to his house. He used to work in IT, but one day hung it up and started selling/mounting tires and doing other car work from his own place. A great guy. He found his way out of IT into something he likes doing. I don't really know if he still likes turning a wrench after making it his job instead of his hobbey, but he is one that I know made the switch.

There are days I consider telling my boss off and starting a cabinet shop from my garage. Making sawdust and the occasional piece of furniture or cabinet has a lot of appeal to me. Then I think again and realize that the money I make and spend today is several times greater. So I feel locked in myself. < sigh >

I wish I could give you the sage advice you crave, but all I can do instead is to tell you a little of my experience. I feel like I'm in a similar place as you.

Posts: 419 | From: Minneapolis, MN | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 16:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes I really miss the manual labour jobs I used to have, and I always feel better after doing something *real*... like spitting wood, installing a shower, building a porch. Of course, I wouldn't want to have to do that all the time now either. [Razz]

Any way to go part-time on the IT work, freelance, etc, and pound some nails somewhere too?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 16:26      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't want anyone to get the wrong idea here... Manual labour in the factory was not for me in the longer term - but it was a small place run by idiots and already on the way down despite an illustrious history... in fact I think the biggest part of why it was going down was the company's fairly recent adoption of a policy of "workers are drones" attitude... even the guy who spent 20 years working the "rack wash" (read skilled pressure wash operative) told me "this company has gone to shit over the last 2 years..." I was not there long enough to assess that part of it.

I have just been told that in the 5-6 years since I worked there the long established "family firm" has been bought out 2x each time by a bigger conglomerate.. so the policy in force when I worked there obviously led only to ruin.. Long time workers were always bemoaning the ruin of the company ideals while I was there...

But I mean - plumbers? Blue collar? Most definitely... unskilled drones? No not at all, same goes for most wrench slingers from "motor mechanics" of all sorts, to AC fitters, TV/Satellite engineers, Electicians of many sorts etc... IT? is it blue collar or white? Do we care?

When your pipes leak you just want someone competent to fix it - when your car (automobile) breaks the same... I measure people (tradesmen if you prefer) by their skill and ability to do the job and keep me (the customer) happy - whenever I can I have learned that unless you /really/ enjoy doing something DIY you are better off getting a professional in to do it - plumbing, plastering, tiling etc. And yes I have learned this the hard way - I can fix a dripping tap, but putting in a new sink is best left to a professional...

Oh yes - and getting the name as the "computer fixer" of the neighbourhood has taken me many years of hard work and "cheap deals" - but it keeps me in enough "busted old PCs" and "a few beers" clients to fill my shed with spares and keep the punters appearing to either get simple fixes or upgrades done at "pocket money" prices (PC World here do a "PC Health Check" at a mere $150US equivalent - and if that is not taking the proverbial I don't think I know what is!

They run Norton and recommend more RAM and a new HDD usually for the money... in more difficult cases the famous Windows cry of "wipe it all and reinstall" is usually uttered (UK viewers of a certain age can read that in the voice of Bagpusses little mouse organ friends for comic effect)

Being good at what you do is what counts - and being happy that you are good at what you do is what is important - blue collar/whate collar is a 19th C hangover we could well do without...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 06:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom ________________________ I never worked in IT. That said I worked in various mind numbing jobs and some not quite so mind numbing.

As long as you work for some one else you are putting money in their pocket, then they share some with you, usually the bread crumbs. They become your madom and you become their Wh***, don't let them think you enjoy being ******* just do your job and go home each night and block out who and whom got a piece of you that day. Invest wisely and some day walk out with a good nest egg to live on,

The really hard part is getting your feelings shut off each day and then turning them back on at quitting time, don't let the bastards get you down. If this job is too much to block out, start a small consulting firm and sell your services that way, its not like you aren't already.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture