homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » From MAC to PC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: From MAC to PC
Alejandrina
Newbie Larva
Member # 10084

Rate Member
Icon 2 posted August 09, 2007 15:08      Profile for Alejandrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi! help!! I need to transfer files from a MAC computer to a PC, but I never used a MAC before and I do not even know where to start! (it's so embarrasing!) Can anyone help me???
My boss wants me transfer the files to a PC so that I can FTP the files to a remote location???
Wouldn't best to just upload the files from the MAC itself?? I have too many questions?? Would anyone would like to chat??

YOur help will be greatly appreciated [Confused]

--------------------
Lucero

Posts: 8 | From: Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 15:24      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just burn the stuff that the Mac needs to a CD and then walk it on over.

Or if you have a network, set up shared directories on the PC and then you can get to them through finder.

If your boss is asking you to set up FTP services and such, and if you are completely unfamiliar with it. Tell him to piss off and hire someone that can work on that stuff. He may have to pay real money, but it would be easier than trying to force someone that's computer knowledge is more than likely based in more business type tasks.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
londonmacgeek
Newbie Larva
Member # 10038

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 17:19      Profile for londonmacgeek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably the easiest and quickest way go transfer files from a Mac to a PC would be over your network. Set-up a shared directory (IE one that can be accessed from both clients) and deposit the files there.
If that dosen't work for you, then a direct connection between the two computers with an ethernet cable will work to transfer the files, however you will need to turn on windows sharing for the mac.
Do this by going:
System Prefrences -> Sharing ->under the "services" tab make sure that "personal file sharing" and "Windows sharing" are checked.

'ta.

--------------------
I have a blue and white powermac G3... WHAT, like you're so special?

Posts: 8 | From: London | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 09, 2007 17:49      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And yes, you could just FTP the files from the Mac. We might be able to help more if you have more details.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dianelab
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 10149

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2007 07:27      Profile for dianelab   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if the mac is not attached to a network use a usb stick

If your mac has access to internet you may consider dowloading and installing cyberduck here http://cyberduck.ch/Cyberduck-2.7.3.dmg
it's free

just double click the dmg files and drag and drop the cyberduck.app on the desktop or in the application folder, from there click the top left icon open connection blue icon, enter the ftp server coordinateand voila you're connected. from there double-click the finder icon in the (a square icon at the bottom left of the screen to open the mac explorer a.k.a. the finder and drag'n drop your files on the cyberduck window

--------------------
nothing is true, everything is permitted

Posts: 1 | From: brussels | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alejandrina
Newbie Larva
Member # 10084

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted August 14, 2007 13:14      Profile for Alejandrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because it was not a formal network setup in the office, I had to start everything from scratch. I started an office Network-(with static IPs), but the problem I am having is that the MAC is not in the same network than the PC (it was previously configured DHCP). The MAC is connected to another computer (Solaris)through a Switch, so that the MAC can compile data received from the Solaris computer.
I downloaded the Cyberduck program @ the MAC computer,so that I can upload the FTP files directly into the FTP site, but my next step will be to learn how to set it up in the internet without breaking the connection the MAC already have with the Solaris system... Will that be the next step, or does anyone recommend a different course of action??

Alejandrina

--------------------
Lucero

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 11:29      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off I would advise you to get off of static IP's. If you are running a small office, you can just use a simple DSL typed router to do the DHCP stuff for you. Now if you are running something larger, you may wish to do something a bit more major.
I typically only run static IP's on servers and printers and such.

Here are some kb docs about Windows file sharing on Macs.

Link 1

Link 2

TBH I think the default Mac settings for file sharing are total ass, so I prefer to go into a terminal session and edit the conf file directly. It is a pretty standard format for SAMBA.

OT: Anyone know how to do the same with Apple Talk? I can't seem to find any way to tweak the settings from the way Cupertino thinks it should be. And as everyone knows, I can't stand being told what is best for me.

How exactly are you tying in the Solaris system to the Mac? Head to head? Or some other scheme?

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alejandrina
Newbie Larva
Member # 10084

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 20, 2007 07:24      Profile for Alejandrina     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you to all of you!
Your advice throughout the setup process has been very helpful! I was able to set up my first network!

--------------------
Lucero

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture