homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Trackpad problems - any ideas?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Trackpad problems - any ideas?
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted August 05, 2007 21:13      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a somewhat new Macbook pro ( I just bought it last year around this time... ) and the track pad has started acting up recently. I'll be moving my finger along the trackpad and the cursor will follow my finger and will randomly stop moving. In order to get the cursor to move, I have to move my finger on the trackpad in random directions for anywhere from 10 seconds to a minute. My dad checked the software angle and couldn't fix it so we brought it a licensed apple repair shop and they worked on the hardware angle. While it was in the shop, there wasn't a problem, but as soon as I tried to use my computer at home, I had the same problem as before. I've noticed that sometimes while the cursor is in the stuck position, as I move my one finger across the trackpad, the active window will begin to scroll.

Does anyone have any ideas what's going and/or how to fix it?

Thanks!

--------------------
"Teachers ramble on and on about freedom of the press but God help you if you try to use it." Gordon Korman

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragon34
Geek
Member # 997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 07, 2007 16:47      Profile for dragon34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like it may be mistakenly picking up a second finger on the trackpad or you have a static problem where you use the computer at home. Do you use 2 finger scrolling? If not, I would turn it off in Keyboard and Mouse Preferences.

Do you get zapped by static electricity often where you use your computer at home? I've seen similar behavior on some people's computers due to them wearing pantyhose, which generate a ridiculous amount of static, but sometimes a anti static mat under the computer, or one on the floor fixes that problem. Does it happen anywhere else or just where you usually use it in your house?

Posts: 146 | From: Central PA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlenewsie
Geek Apprentice
Member # 7241

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted August 11, 2007 20:41      Profile for littlenewsie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried turning off second finger tracking, but it didn't help. I've never gotten zapped by static electricity while using my laptop either. So anyway, my computer is back in the shop for the second time in two weeks. Meh... lucky me.

Thanks for the suggestions though...

Posts: 46 | From: The Other Side of PA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture