homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » VMS cheat sheet?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: VMS cheat sheet?
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 04:09      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've started working at a big facility and have to update a simple database of INS spectra. This means I have a VMS login and have to do all sorts of manipulations on custom software to get the data in a usable form. (FWIW I'm running genie (I have a manual) to manipulate TOSCA spectra) I've never used VMS before, and am finding some of the commands a little arcane. Does anyone know a good cheatsheet to get me up to speed with the basics? I just want to know very simple commands- the equivalent of cd, ls, chmod etc under UNIX.

I had a quick run through with the boss for about an hour, but most of that was spent looking for the gold key! [Wink] I'm running remotely from windows using Xceed.

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 07:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, you have my deepest sympathies for having to use VMS...

Second, this will probably help

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6361 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 20, 2007 07:53      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for both. I think I've been driven crazy by the file structure this afternoon. I couldn't open the file I wanted for over an hour. I still don't understand the format, but at least I can open things now.
Stanley F. Quayle
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 9821

Icon 1 posted July 24, 2007 08:50      Profile for Stanley F. Quayle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VMS isn't so hard. If you're used to /fred/wilma/xyz in Linux, just use [fred.wilma.xyz]

You do have to specify a device in front, since the disks in VMS don't have "mount points" into one overall structure. Plusses and minuses to both.

DKA0:[fred.wilma.xyz]

And the format is generally case-insensitive.

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 00:43      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
VMS isn't so hard. If you're used to /fred/wilma/xyz in Linux, just use [fred.wilma.xyz]

You do have to specify a device in front, since the disks in VMS don't have "mount points" into one overall structure. Plusses and minuses to both.

DKA0:[fred.wilma.xyz]

And the format is generally case-insensitive.

You make it sound so simple. However, with the system I am using, there is at least one more level, and possibly two.

Extending your example, the file path would be:

bambam$DKA0:[fred.wilma.xyz]pebbles.ana

and keeping of old file versions is causing me to get quite a lot of cruft in the file system (TCP-IP-FTP.log;25).

I'm managing to do what I need now (mostly), but I'm not loving it. The memory of unix makes me keep typing ls when I mean dire.

Slack User
Mini Geek
Member # 9196

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 01:00      Profile for Slack User   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm feeling lucky button on google with words "vms commands" seems to have what you want...?
http://www.physnet.uni-hamburg.de/physnet/vms-unix-commands.html

--------------------
I must not be popular. I only got 2 stars. :(

Posts: 63 | From: Las Vegas | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
serutan
Newbie Larva
Member # 5460

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 21:20      Profile for serutan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
VMS is Arcane compared to Unix?

VMS | Linux
DIR/FULL | ls -al
SET DEFAULT | cd
SHOW DEFAULT | pwd
SHOW PROCESS | ps
SHOW DEVICE | df
SEARCH | grep
COPY | cp
DELETE | rm
RENAME | mv

Oh well. Here is a VMS-to-Unix cheat sheet you can reverse:

http://www.hsrl.rutgers.edu/ug/unix_for_vms.html

Posts: 7 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2007 10:37      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by serutan:
VMS is Arcane compared to Unix?

Sure, in the same way proper written English is arcane compared to AIM-sp33k. [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1662 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stanley F. Quayle
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 9821

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2007 18:56      Profile for Stanley F. Quayle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want a "ls" command? Add this to your LOGIN.COM command procedure (sort of .bashrc):

$ LS == "DIRECTORY"

ls will do a directory. Enjoy!

NTT
Maximum Newbie
Member # 2488

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2007 05:26      Profile for NTT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love VMS!! Way more fun to hack around with than Linux. I almost bought myself an Alpha on ebay so I could keep working on it.
In addition to what has been mentioned already, lots of other tips here:
http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=03/01/16/2142234

My comment here: http://ask.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=50972&cid=5099372

Definitely your best resource is the HELP command. Every command is extensively documented in plain language.

DCL, the scripting language can be a little obtuse, but that will come with practice.

I borrowed a book from a friend that was tremendusly helpful and short at the same time. I don't remember the title so I'll have to post it later.

About the abundance versioned files: you can delete by version and by timestamp
DELETE/BEFORE=timestamp
and
HELP PURGE

--------------------
I get blamed for everything I do.

Posts: 17 | From: Colorado | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2007 07:01      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't need an Alpha to keep working on VMS. A web search will turn up several VAX emulators for linux which will boot VMS.
Posts: 2867 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.