homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » I need help with a screen shot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I need help with a screen shot
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2007 15:45      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As sad as this sounds...I JUST found the button that would allow me to take a screen shot on my laptop. But...for some reason the damned thing won't work and everytime I go to paint to past it, all that is pasted is a photo of myself that I was messing with earlier in the day with...help? [shake head]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2007 16:06      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you using Windows or MacOS? And are you using prntscn/alt-prntscn (Windows) or Command-Shift-3/4 (MacOS X) or some other key combination?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2007 16:42      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lemon Smuggler,

on Mac the screen shot goes onto the desktop as a .png and you can open that with anything that supports it.

As you mention Paint I am going to guess you are on Windows which means unfortunately I am not intimately acquainted with how you get a screen shot.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2007 18:30      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you need to hold the Fn key or something?
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted July 05, 2007 20:42      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would be useful if you could send us an image of your keyboard layout, or at least your laptop model. I'm sure you're having issues with the Fn key as maximile said previously.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 04:52      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. hit F12
2. open paint
3. ctrl-v
4. ???
5. profit

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 06:59      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F12? o.O

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 14:11      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F 12 - It has a function?

I thought even bill gates said that there was no use for the F12 key in the Microsoft operating system.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 15:58      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a photo for some reason but the dang up load card thingy just isn't working. But I an describe my keyboard, will that work?

The very last button in the first row of keys at the top is the delete button, on the left of it is a button that says "insert" in a little blue box under neither that word but still on the same key is the word "prt sc" so I'm guessing that is my print screen button but it's not taking the shot.

(yes it is windows. lol my dad refuses to buy me an apple laptop everytime I ask lol)

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 16:09      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it sounds like that's a Function-ated key. To use PrtSc try holding down the Fn key on your keyboard and hitting PrtSc. Usually the Fn key is in the lower-leftmost key. On some laptops, though, Ctrl is lower-leftmost and Fn is next to it and on SOME of these laptops there's a feature to swap the Fn and Ctrl keys in the BIOS... so what I'm saying is try holding Fn and hitting Insert (for PrtScrn) and if that doesn't work try holding Ctrl and doing it. ONE of those will almost certainly work.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2007 21:39      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You...are brilliant!!! It worked! Thank you so much. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture