homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Printer Networking Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Printer Networking Question
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted July 02, 2007 13:09      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am trying to network my computers on my wireless network with my printer. The computers used to automatically print to that printer without being connected, but now I need to set it up since that stopped.

I have PCs that all have Windows XP on them. My question is, when I read the Microsoft Help file on networking the printer with computers, it says to type: \\ printserver_name\ share_name --what are both of these things and where do I find out what they are for my printer?

Thanks for any help. Please ask for clarification if I have been unclear on anything. [Smile]

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2007 14:33      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The printserver_name is the name given to the computer that the printer is physically connected to or, in the case of a printer that connects directly to the network, the name the printer was configured with.

The computer name in Windows can be found by going to your control panel, opening the system properties and clicking the computer name tab. You'll have to read the manufacturer's documents to find out how to find/change the name of a printer that connects directly to the network.

The share_name is the name that the printer was shared with. For a printer attached to a computer, this can be found by opening printers and faxes in the control panel, then right clicking on the printer in question and selecting sharing. For a printer attached directly to the network, once again you'll need to check the manufacturer's documentation.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Moi
Mini Geek
Member # 4980

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted July 05, 2007 08:48      Profile for Moi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much. I will try again with my new information. [Smile]
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2007 09:44      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want to waste some money on a gadget you could buy a wireless printserver. Then You can stick your printer anywhere out of the way and still print. I like this solution for me because it cleared so much area up in my work area by my computer at home.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture