homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Working at Google

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Working at Google
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 04:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a phone call the other day, from a head-hunter representing Google. Long story short, they found my CV on the internet (presumably via Google) and I've been invited to apply for a job at their Sydney office.

There's several good reasons for me not wanting to move to another city at the moment, but it's not out of the question. I need to decide, quickly (not one of my strengths).

So, if anyone out there has first-hand (or even second-hand) stories to tell about working/interviewing at Google, I'd be very interested to hear them.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10652 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 05:45      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't provide any info, but I think it's way cool that they've contacted you and invited you to apply.

[thumbsup]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 05:55      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IDWFGBISTOOTT (I don't work for Google, but I've seen their offices on the telly!) It looks like a blast -- beach balls and air hockey and soft-drink dispensers everywhere... I think that sort of thing would be amusing if you're 20... maybe for about five minutes. What always worries me about such places is "what is this pretend-paradise trying to hide?" I dread to think think what kind of ass-crunching, vice-like corporate culture actually exists there. The fact that you don't hear that many horrible stories about their workers in the media just makes me think that, well, they're GOOGLE -- they have enough resources to track down any dissenters, remove them to a safe location, interview them with extreme prejudice, grind their bodies into a fine cornflour-like powder, melt the powder into small balls of glassy-like substance, and then fire the pellets into the heart of the Sun.

But then again it might be a good laugh! [Smile]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 06:10      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations!

The same thing happened to me last month. I've had three interviews with them thus far. Currently waiting for them to respond regarding the next.

I can't shed much light on the work culture there, but they seem to be looking for people who can "think on their feet" about technology. Their interview process begins fairly easy and becomes difficult rapidly. I would suggest that you know your data structures and algorithms well, even if you aren't applying for programming jobs, because they will ask about those fields. Knowledge of data mining and Linux will help you as well. Know at least some details of networking protocols.

If your interview process goes like mine, you'll have the following sequence of events:

1. The recruiter will call you just to make sure you're interested and to find out what you plan on doing.
2. They'll then ask for your transcript / work history.
3. About a week later, they'll try to place you in a particular group.
4. A representative from that group will email you and set up a screening technical interview, where they will ask you basic data structures questions on the order of difficulty of "What is the difference between a stack and a queue?"
5. Do well on that and they'll set up a first phone interview on the spot.
6. They'll ask you to code on the phone interviews. Do well and they'll set up more later.
7. Eventually, they'll call you in for one or two "final round interviews", which are in-person and make me cringe just thinking about. On the upside, if you make it this far, you get a free lunch in their cafeteria.

I've heard they have a lot of perks but don't pay well. But then, this group (Edit: by which I mean the one talking about the salary, not this group) considered a 90k starting salary with a Bachelor's degree poor, so make of that what you will.

Of course, like every other job I've ever worked at, there's no guarantee that they will place you in a position appropriate for your skills. If that happens, it's your choice whether you want to start in a position that's going to lack challenges and climb the ladder. I still haven't decided whether I want to put up with that myself, since that's what I was trying to get away from by going to Google.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2007 19:47      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats. It's way cool. I'm very Jealous, and were I you, I'd move. Google is one of the few things that make me move out to California.

My Jelousy is compounded because:
1. I recently learned that someone I was friends with a few years ago now works on the VB compiler team at Microsoft.
2. I applied at Google and was rejected.

So that said, you two suck. [Razz] [shake head]

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted June 19, 2007 19:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow, cool... congrats on the opportunity, very cool. [Smile]
Posts: 8071 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 05:35      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!

Google is rumored to be constructing a data center in my city, and I'm considering throwing my hat into the ring if they do.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
chromatic
Geek
Member # 164

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 09:21      Profile for chromatic   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google's recruiting and interviewing process seems somewhat broken, at least in the US, at least for the group that tried to recruit me formally. (I say that because they recruited me for absolutely the wrong job, but I went along with it anyway to see the process.)

It was an interesting process, though.

Posts: 223 | From: Squeaky First Geek House | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 20, 2007 13:11      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations TFD!

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 14:25      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chromatic:
Google's recruiting and interviewing process seems somewhat broken, at least in the US, at least for the group that tried to recruit me formally. (I say that because they recruited me for absolutely the wrong job, but I went along with it anyway to see the process.)

It was an interesting process, though.

They recruited me as a tester, but realized after the first phone interview that I was much better writing the code than breaking it, so now I'm going for both a testing and development position at once.

So you should in fact show them your skills where they lie in the interview, even if they seemed to have placed you incorrectly.

I'm happy for receiving that news from them [Smile]

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 14:26      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GameMaster:
Congrats. It's way cool. I'm very Jealous, and were I you, I'd move. Google is one of the few things that make me move out to California.

My Jelousy is compounded because:
1. I recently learned that someone I was friends with a few years ago now works on the VB compiler team at Microsoft.
2. I applied at Google and was rejected.

So that said, you two suck. [Razz] [shake head]

As I've said before as general job advice, the trick to getting good jobs is not to apply [Smile]
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 20, 2007 23:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input guys, but in the end the "several good reasons" for not wanting to move won out, and I won't be applying.

It's interesting how many people have congratulated me just for being invited to apply, (from what I hear of their recruiting process, that's a _long_ way from a job offer) it says a lot for Google's reputation.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10652 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture