homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Cell phone won't charge (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Cell phone won't charge
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 13, 2007 09:22      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone know anything about cell phones? [Confused]

Mine is a Motorola V710, and it won't charge. I've tried it with a new battery, same thing. The phone works fine, it just won't charge the battery. I also tried a different charger, but no luck.

I'm just going to hunt down the manual to see if it can help, (edit: it couldn't) but I thought I'd ask out here in case anyone has had a similar issue.

Basically, my question is, are cell phones junk when they break?
[cry baby]

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 09:43      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cell's busted, and the 29th is only a few days away. How convenient [Wink]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 09:45      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually it's cheaper to replace the phone than it is to get it fixed. Go for a Sony Ericsson. ;-)
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 10:05      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
always check the power supply, then any connections.

sounds simple but...
all necessary light switches on?
use multiple sockets?
check the battery terminals for cleanliness?

I once swore my new monitor was completely dead... until my brother plugged it in.

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 10:27      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy _____________________ Have you tried a car charger? One of my wall warts stopped charging the phones.

I have found that half the charger is in the phone the other unit is just the source, if it will not charge a known good battery, its landfill material.

I will probably get flak on this but I have had good luck with Motorola, however your mileage may vary. The local carriers here in the woods all recommend Moto, so the call is yours. Also once the unit is old enough to need new batteries, if I bought new batteries then the phone died.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5835 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 13, 2007 10:36      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yep. quadruple checked all power supplies, connections, cleaned them, poked them, prodded them, and I tried a car charger. no dice.

I'm going to go into the shop and borrow a battery, then reset the thing, but I'm assuming I'll have walk out with a new phone.

rant: I really just want a super simple phone that's just a phone with big buttons and no features and no annoying "helpful" alarms that always seem to go off at 4 am. [Mad]

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 10:59      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Basically, my question is, are cell phones junk when they break?
[cry baby]

yes

(we're assuming you plugged the wall-wart into the wall and checked the voltages coming off the connector, and they're good, right?)

(ooooh, palindrome post count [crazy] )

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:06      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no way! not junk!

Paperweight, anybody? Or something to chuck at the cat when she's clawing the couch?

Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted June 13, 2007 11:31      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Believe it or not, my mom still uses one of these, quite reliable phones are them.
Nokia FTW! (until the 29th)

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 12:13      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
rant: I really just want a super simple phone that's just a phone with big buttons and no features and no annoying "helpful" alarms that always seem to go off at 4 am. [Mad]

I know the feeling. I'm hoping that an iPhone mini will come along to fill that gap in my life.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 12:31      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy,

If the V710 has that odd little flat charger plug, I can tell you what may have happened.

More than likely the bottom plug on the phone has probably broken loose from the board, or worse yet, the plastic has cracked internally not allowing it to make a decent connection. I have seen it happen to a lot of that style. The Nextels a previous company gave us were infamous for it.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted June 13, 2007 13:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weird. Now the phone is coming to life every now and then, when no one is touching it or even around it... it plays it's creepy little song and works for a minute or so, then dies again...

OMG! IT'S THE UN-DEAD PHONE!

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 13:47      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy, do you have one of the plans that lets you get a new phone every couple years? Conveniently enough, my dad's phones always die just as that kicks in (he's pretty hard on them).

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 14:15      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

OMG! IT'S THE UN-DEAD PHONE!

Quick! Baptize the damned thing! It's the only sure way to save its soul... and yours too.

Well, probably... [blush]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted June 13, 2007 19:06      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Mine is a Motorola V710, and it won't charge.
Some people don't seem to like it.     [Eek!]

quote:
Motorola V710 Phone (Verizon Wireless)

Pure Garbage, August 27, 2006 (rated: 1 out of 5)
    By  Gadgetman

The V710 mobile phone is complete garbage in just about every respect. STAY AWAY FROM THIS ONE!

I have never witnessed such poor quality control in my life. I have had this thing for 2 long years and can't wait to get rid of it! I will never buy another Motorola product.

Poor quality control on this phone, May 30, 2006 (rated: 1 out of 5)
    By Trojanmedicine

I bought the phone more than a year ago primarily because of its attractive appearance and blue-tooth options. 1 year later, and after my third replacement, i finally gave up on the phone and didn't even want a free replacement. i'll list below some of it's fatal faults which seem to be consistent with other posters:
  1. The camera phone takes exceptionally poor-quality pictures
  2. The battery life is unacceptably poor
  3. The inlet to the phone malfunctions so half the time you're fighting with the phone to charge it
  4. It's heavy as a rock
  5. Initially, the phone keys rubbed against the screen scratching it.
  6. The border around the camera lens was poorly glued on that it fell of on the second day I had it.
  7. I had it replaced twice because the screen went dead the first time; the second time the inlet to the charger got loose and i was unable to charge it.

Each time i went in to verizon, i was made to feel it was my fault for the poorly built POS. one time they pointed out a scratch on the phone implying it was my fault and that i must've dropped it. I had phones in the past, dropped them 100x more than this puppy and none gave me problems. In the end, after my third replaced phone went dead, I simply gave up and bought a differnt model.

The only Pro to this phone is the recption. Great voice quality and reception but when everything else is falling appart, it's not worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-V710-Phone-Verizon-Wireless/dp/customer-reviews/B0002W2H2K

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted June 13, 2007 20:26      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i don't like this phone too much, mainly from a software point of view though. This is the first cell phoned I've owned, I'm not sure if the software end of things gets any better. I find it way too hard to navigate the menus, or find what I want.

The reception on it is *excellent* and it does feel good in the hand.

- camera is awful, but I never used it though, since you can't just connect to the computer to transfer pictures, you had to pay for email transfer. The bluetooth options are crippled here, so I could never connect it to my Mac. [Mad]

- they are right about the charging connector... it sucks. Obviously. [Razz]

Sure wish an iPhone was an option. yeah maximile, an iPhone mini/nano would rock.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 21:57      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a look at Treo 700p if you're looking for a replacement - it has better functionality than the iPhone (though doesn't look anywhere near as cool,) and you can easily find a used one for well under $200 nowadays. If you have unlimited data on your plan, there's a neat little app called PDANet that lets you tether to your laptop at no extra charge.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 02:41      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by iWanToUseaMac:
Believe it or not, my mom still uses one of these, quite reliable phones are them.
Nokia FTW! (until the 29th)

Our on-call phone was one of those. It was indestructible. I dropped it down two flights of concrete stairs and slammed it in a fire door and it still worked. (Accidently!)

Maswan has a Sony Ericsson Cybershot. It looks nice, I haven't used it though. You could ask him what he thinks of it in IRC though.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 02:46      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Motorola 'phones are living proof that you can gild a turd, and not only that, but you can sell them afterwards in large numbers. Their software is possibly the worst in the industry, and they are have a very poor record for reliability. Only get one if you are on a contract and so can return them when they break down.

My advice Snaggy is to throw it away, and get a Sony Ericsson or a Nokia. You can get a second hand Sony Ericsson K750i for very little cash, and it's a fairly robust little 'phone which has good software, bluetooth and works fine with iSync, and a good camera too if those fripperies matter to you. It does look boring though. When you buy a 'phone it is always worth getting it not only unlocked so it works on all networks, but debranded as well so you remove all the alterations and restrictions to the software made by the networks too.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 04:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callipygous wrote:
proof that you can gild a turd, and not only that, but you can sell them afterwards in large numbers.

Especially in Japan

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 04:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oooh ! What a give-away ! [Wink]

Maybe I'm not a proper geek, but I'd pay good money for a phone that's just a phone.

No crappy unusable web-browser.
No crappy unusable diary.
No crappy blurry lo-res camera.
No crappy unusable mp3 player.
No half-arsed attempt at playing videos.
No silly beepy-games.
No currency conversions, horoscope, or biorhythms.

Just.
A.
Phone.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 04:51      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Oooh ! What a give-away ! [Wink]

Maybe I'm not a proper geek, but I'd pay good money for a phone that's just a phone.

No crappy unusable web-browser.
No crappy unusable diary.
No crappy blurry lo-res camera.
No crappy unusable mp3 player.
No half-arsed attempt at playing videos.
No silly beepy-games.
No currency conversions, horoscope, or biorhythms.

Just.
A.
Phone.

and it has to flip open
AND it has to give the star trek "beedeepebbeep" noise when you do

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 07:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So TFD...you mean to say you like my kickass phone, then?
http://images.google.com/images?q=lg%20vx3100

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 10:21      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
Motorola 'phones are living proof that you can gild a turd, and not only that, but you can sell them afterwards in large numbers. Their software is possibly the worst in the industry, and they are have a very poor record for reliability. Only get one if you are on a contract and so can return them when they break down.

My advice Snaggy is to throw it away, and get a Sony Ericsson or a Nokia.

Seconded on the Motorolas. We used to have Motorolas here at work, and those are the first cellphones I used with any regularity. They were durable enough, but the menus were completely counterintuitive.

I would add LG to your list of good phone manufacturers. The first time I used one I was amazed at how easy it was, and the two I've owned have been fairly durable.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 14, 2007 10:53      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 3 favorite phones ever have been Ericssons. I haven't liked any since the Sony/Ericsson stuff, though.

I have a Motorola SLVR now that has been a wonderful phone - the only issue is that a telco-pushed flash update (as in, I woke up one morning and my phone said "Please restart the phone to complete the flash upgrade" or some such) broke the support for ordinary chargers.

Now the damn thing requires Motorola brand chargers - it actually complains about the HP and RIM Blackberry chargers.

Oh, actually, and Motorola has the stupidest address book in history. One entry per person? Who only has one entry?

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture