homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Just a couple of things

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Just a couple of things
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 09:44      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been pondering for a while now.

Firstly, why when you button your cuffs do they overlap, but when you use cufflinks they go side to side? Why not put the button on the other side of the shirt cuff?

Secondly, why do people represent snoring with ZZZzzz, when that is the noise a bee makes, not a sleepy person. Surely HHHHhhhhh, or HGHGHGgghghg would be better.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
wittylikeacid
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8676

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 09:59      Profile for wittylikeacid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by littlefish:

Firstly, why when you button your cuffs do they overlap, but when you use cufflinks they go side to side? Why not put the button on the other side of the shirt cuff?

Secondly, why do people represent snoring with ZZZzzz, when that is the noise a bee makes, not a sleepy person. Surely HHHHhhhhh, or HGHGHGgghghg would be better.

i cant say about the cuffs, probably just some way the fabric folds or reacts to being pinned down at certain angles. the snoring thing was probably just a cartoonists interpertation (sp?) of snoring. in France, instead of "woof" "woof", they put, "arrt" "arrt" next to a barking dog. so..i think it all depends.

and wow, that was longer then expected.

Posts: 16 | From: maryland | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 10:27      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

For the sleeping onomatopoeia, it may be how some people will have this slighly nasal breathing, or with the other common representation of sawing a log; I can't really tell. But for the cuff, I believe it's a matter of level of dress-up - a formal shirt uses cufflinks in order to have a specific look, while the button-on cuffs will have a less-formal "attitude" to it. Or maybe the cufflinks was (is?) one more way for a man to show his well-off-ness (gold, diamonds or other gems, and other valuable materials used) without being too ostentatious. But I would assume that such shirts aren't that confortable with a jacket (especially if narrow-sleeved) so the over-flapping version is more used for day-to-day wear.

quote:
Originally posted by wittylikeacid:
(snip)in France, instead of "woof" "woof", they put, "arrt" "arrt" next to a barking dog. so..i think it all depends.

I don't live in France, haven't even been there, but in Quebec, we get to read their graphical novels, and I can say I have never seen "arrt" associate with a barking dog. It may have been "arf", but most commonly, it is "ouaf", "wouf", or something similar. But there are many regionalisms in France, so it may depends of where you are, really.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 11:14      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a shirt with both cufflink holes and buttons. I can't see any difference in comfort wearing it either way.
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 11, 2007 11:28      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does it have French/double cuffs?

EDIT: I just did some googling and learned that they do make single layer cufflink cuffs. Weird. I'd only ever seen cufflinks in French cuffs.
Learn something new every day!

And I can't hazard a guess to your original "why" question, littlefish, other than... fashion? Which sometimes makes very little sense to me in the first place. [ohwell]

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 13:21      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Just the simple mechanics of trying to effect each type of closure with a single hand - and half the time not even your "good" hand.

Try putting in a cufflink with the two cuff ends overlapped, and then try fastening a shirt button (where the two sections of fabric overlap) again with just one hand.

I reckon that we do it the way we do it because it's just too difficult the other way.

YMMV etc [Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
wittylikeacid
Maximum Newbie
Member # 8676

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 13:35      Profile for wittylikeacid   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
quote:
Originally posted by wittylikeacid:
(snip)in France, instead of "woof" "woof", they put, "arrt" "arrt" next to a barking dog. so..i think it all depends.

I don't live in France, haven't even been there, but in Quebec, we get to read their graphical novels, and I can say I have never seen "arrt" associate with a barking dog. It may have been "arf", but most commonly, it is "ouaf", "wouf", or something similar. But there are many regionalisms in France, so it may depends of where you are, really. [/QB]
i had a friend who was from Paris, we used to look at the cartoons that her mother brought back for her and the dogs would always say, "arrt". so it probably does depend on where you are located.
Posts: 16 | From: maryland | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture