homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Stereo Killing by Proxy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stereo Killing by Proxy
metasoap
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 8946

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 17:21      Profile for metasoap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a stereo that I want to kill. Quickly, slowly - it doesn't matter. The owner of this stereo is ignorant and when I speak with him politely he screams in my face.

This issue has gone on for years and I've had enough. It's not that it's loud so much that I can feel the techno vibrations through me whenever I go/sit on anywhere in the house (it's like I have a second random heartbeat). I've thought through some alternates in the summer months - like wiring an infrared universal remote down past his window and switching it off. Or, waking him up with a subwoofer strapped to the floor playingopera (he goes to bed much earlier than me) Overloading the shared electricity supply so that it turns off (it happens regularly anyway)

I jumped up and down to get his attention, after the standard banging was doing nothing and the ceiling fixtures became loose.

So what I'm thinking is some way of stereo mutation, ideally temporary. A massive magnet? It needs to be by proxy. Any ideas?

-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 18:22      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm guessing this is an apartment complex?

find the circuit breakers for his apt, maybe in the basement, or outside connection, and flip it on/off several times really fast

other than that, you're SOL unless you can get into his place

or, a universal remote might work if you can shine it through a window in that room

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/755e/
and
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/884f/
won't work, they're for TV's
but you might be able to use them to fck with his tv at appropriate times [evil]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 21:43      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metasoap:
I have a stereo that I want to kill.

Funny you should say that ... [Big Grin]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 21:56      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be nice *poke*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 22:05      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're giving me a benicepoke? Fine. Here's a benicepunchinthenose. [Razz]
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 22:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be happy to give you a benicespankin' in return [evil]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted June 11, 2007 07:40      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not kill, be it by proxy or directly. I only bite. Any killing report you may have heard is obviously about someone else. [Mad]

[Razz] [Big Grin]

(By ref. to title of the thread, in case you are wondering. As for the content, I have no owner, so I fell safe from metasoap's murderous intentions. [Wink] )

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 12:07      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Detonate a large nuclear warhead over the building. Make sure that the explosion is at such an altitude as<b>not</b> to destroy the city but close enough that the EMP takes out the stereo. He'll get the point. [evil]

Or if you don't have a nuclear weapon laying around. Hire three guys "two pieces of pipe, a bicycle chain. Sam, he won't be so scary after that."

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 12:19      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by metasoap:
I have a stereo that I want to kill. Quickly, slowly - it doesn't matter. The owner of this stereo is ignorant and when I speak with him politely he screams in my face.

This issue has gone on for years and I've had enough. It's not that it's loud so much that I can feel the techno vibrations through me whenever I go/sit on anywhere in the house (it's like I have a second random heartbeat). I've thought through some alternates in the summer months - like wiring an infrared universal remote down past his window and switching it off. Or, waking him up with a subwoofer strapped to the floor playingopera (he goes to bed much earlier than me) Overloading the shared electricity supply so that it turns off (it happens regularly anyway)

I jumped up and down to get his attention, after the standard banging was doing nothing and the ceiling fixtures became loose.

So what I'm thinking is some way of stereo mutation, ideally temporary. A massive magnet? It needs to be by proxy. Any ideas?

Have you addressed the issue with the landlord? What about having the police enforce any local noise ordinances?

If you can blow the breaker (like by turning on the microwave and the coffeepot at the same time or something) I'd say go for it. And try to do it every time his music irritates you. And then complain that his speakers draw too much power when he blasts his stereo and blame him for disrupting the power. (It will probably be more effective if he can't relocate the stereo to an outlet on a circuit you can't control.)

You can also do some reading on RFI/EMI - there is a lot of information on how to solve interference problems that might be helpful in generating interference.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
mistersaxon
Mini Geek
Member # 6816

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 09:05      Profile for mistersaxon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be within your remit: Spark Gap Generator and it will definitely do the job. TBH you could probably leave off a few amplifier stages as he's only downstairs.

A basic spark gap generator will make a helluva noise on most stereos, unless he's into shielded cables and kit, and that's a serious option for you because the basic kit is quite easy to get.
I want sparks and I want them now!!

But seriously, before you get military on his ass make a complaint: if you already suffer from palpitations or high blood pressure he probably poses a medical threat to you. If you don't then it's only a matter of time. [Frown]

--------------------
Rich.

Posts: 64 | From: Thame, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture