homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Agile Computing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Agile Computing
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 10:38      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone here give me the skinny on what the Hell this is? I've been trying to find out on teh interwebs, but it's all just a load of... words, big words, words I don't understand. (As far as I can tell it's something to do with leveraging your key synergistic granularity elements into one optimized, symbiotic, refactored empowerment strategy... or something... )

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 10:45      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't worry, that's exactly what it is. You've got it. [Razz]

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 11:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the idea that you should be able to have your software and data stored on a remotely accessible system. This would allow you to access your software and data from a variety of other devices like PDAs and PCs without having to deal with installations and transferring data and what not.

It's a brilliant new concept being put forth by all the hot computer companies and in no way, shape or form does it resemble the terminal/mainframe model that has been around since the dawn of time (computer time, at least).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 11:19      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 11:21      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And apparently not the same as Agile software development. I guess "Agile" is just a good buzzword these days.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 11:29      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they meant to call it "Argyle computing", and it really stinks?

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 11:31      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Edit: you may want to believe Steen instead; he seems to have heard about it before.

I don't know where you searched, but this article (second on the Google result page for "agile computing") seems pretty clear to me - have a screen be a screen for every kind of applications that requires a screen, have an input device be able to interface to what requires one, have a computing device be able to treat any kind of data thrown at it.* You just carry the data and software, and use what's around you to do the task.

So say you are talking on your cell phone and need to pass on informations (phone number, address) held into your cell's memory to the person you are talking to. Now you have to: stop talking, navigate your cell phone menu, find the information, then read, memorize, and repeat it. With agile computing, you could hook up an e-book reader to your cell, use it to retrieve the info and read it aloud. If you don't have an e-book reader? You iPod may be used instead. Or your PSP. Or borrow the next guy's tablet PC, augmented reality glasses or whatever is available.

In short, computerized tools that may not have been created for an application can still handle it if it has access to the right software and data, as long as its usage (input, output, computing power) is compatible with the task. It would requires a level of compatibility never attained yet, and although nice, I fear for its longevity, based on what happened of OpenDoc (which was, a similar concept, but on the data vs. software level instead of data+software vs. hardware). If I got it right, of course.

*Would be great for a catastrophe movie's scene: the hero(ine) is on vacation at the beach when s/he receives an important file from work: s/he then requisition all available cell phones, iPods (and the few computers), places them in a giant grid on the sand, has them all talk together, and then gets them to decode the file in a cluster-mode and show up the result on all the little screens; view from the top: the plan of the alien's ship (or whatever) is there for all to see.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 14:06      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, folks. I need all the help I can get. I like the sound of 'Argyle Computing'... apart from the socks. [Frown]

--------------------

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 14:22      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's all badgers paws, these days...
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 07:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did someone say something about /badgers?/

...goes back to skimming this week's newsletter. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 21:27      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
we dont need no stinking badgers

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 03:31      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every time I see this topic I think of this.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture