homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Fav. geek TV series? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Fav. geek TV series?
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 05:11      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For scifi, I have to go with Babylon Five. I love the plot arcs and the continuity across seasons. I also think that the character development is fantastic. G'kar is probably my favorite, with the transitions that he undergoes over the course of the show. Bester is another great character. He could have been just a fascist thug, but there was a lot of effort that went into giving him his own goals, principles, and motivations.

I also think The IT Crowd is hysterical. Especially with the leet subtitles. (You have to watch the episode with and without though, otherwise you find yourself paying attention to the dialog and missing the subtitles or reading the subtitles and missing the dialog.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 05:33      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
I also think The IT Crowd is hysterical.

Yes, that am hilarious -- shame it isn't on TV here. I'll have to buy the DVDs or something. (Moss is my hero.)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 06:20      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spungo you can get the IT crowd episodes for free here...
http://www.filecloud.com/files/file.php?file_id=2877

HTH

[thumbsup]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 06:26      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fireflyfireflyfireflyfireflyfireflyfireflyfireflyfirefly [Applause]

Oh, and I think Spaced should count as geeky, but I dunno how many of you will have seen it. If you haven't, you definitely should.

Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 07:28      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dweebs

Simplistic, but funny as hell. Ran too short.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 09:50      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the moment, probably Heroes. Is there a bigger geek on TV than Hiro Nakamura?

Edit: I forgot to add that the actor who plays Hiro, Masi Oka, is apparently quite a geek, too. He's done digital effects for some big-name movies.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 10:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to go with Mythbusters. They get the science wrong on a regular basis and tend to be more interested in blowing things up, but they're entertaining to watch.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 11:20      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MythBusters is good, but best when recorded. They waste so much time telling you what they will do after the commercial, then what they've already done when they come back that you can watch an entire DVRed episode in about 15-20 minutes.

CSI and NCIS are my favorite geeky shows at the moment, from a forensic geekiness standpoint. They may not be terribly realistic, but I enjoy them anyway.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 07, 2007 11:22      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Star Trek.

Kirk, Bones, and Spock. C'mon now. It was made over 15 years before I was born and is still good TV.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 01:37      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
CSI and NCIS are my favorite geeky shows at the moment, from a forensic geekiness standpoint. They may not be terribly realistic, but I enjoy them anyway.

Aw, yeah. I watched all (what, 7 seasons?) of CSI over about a month. It was neat watching the Quentin Tarantino episodes. His work is very distinctive in terms of dialog, timing, and the way he increases the tension, as well as the cinematography.

And, hands down, Gil Grissom is da bomb.

--------------------

Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 10:03      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got hooked on Spike reruns last year. It's even better now that we've upgraded our equipment to high-def and added network channels to our lineup.

--------------------
Ugh!

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 10:29      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Have you seen Bones? That is one of my favorite shows on the air right now. It is still using forensics to solve murders, but there is a lot more character development than on CSI. And it's fun for me to see David Boreanas on tv. [Big Grin] [evil]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
óMiss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 13:01      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught a few minutes of one episode. Mrs. Club has seen more and doesn't like it much, so I haven't had a chance to get a feel for it. Maybe I'll excercise the DVR option on your advice [Smile]

--------------------
Ugh!

boo
Highlie
Member # 5991

Icon 1 posted June 08, 2007 20:07      Profile for boo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to like tech tv with Leo and Patrick.
Posts: 775 | From: us of a | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 11:14      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm all for IT Crowd! I'm dying to see season 2, doesn't seem to be anywhere online (yet). I didn't know about the subtitles.

I also love MST3k and Red Dwarf. Probably don't have to be a geek to love the latter haha.

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 11:41      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah! MST3K! I need to find that on DVD or something.

--------------------

The Ste
Geek Larva
Member # 8907

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 16:38      Profile for The Ste     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey! , I agree with heroes (pure magic) and firefly especially since serenity. I would like to add the following which I feel CANT be overlooked in this pole
BUFFY!
Angel
Alias
Dead like me
Extras
and hello...LOST (look away if you don't like spoilers and didn't see the end of series 3)
can anyone believe
that
they
got
back?
What a clever ending!

Posts: 23 | From: dublin | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Ste
Geek Larva
Member # 8907

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 16:41      Profile for The Ste     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:

Have you seen Bones? That is one of my favorite shows on the air right now. It is still using forensics to solve murders, but there is a lot more character development than on CSI. And it's fun for me to see David Boreanas on tv. [Big Grin] [evil]
Yes bones rocks, I like that angela ended up with a super geek, good call.
Posts: 23 | From: dublin | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
metasoap
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 8946

Icon 3 posted June 10, 2007 17:25      Profile for metasoap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
firefly!
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 10, 2007 18:05      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another vote for Firefly [Smile]

I'm currently rather hooked on Bones at the moment though.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 00:37      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish Firefly had lasted longer. Sometimes I sing the theme song in the shower. It seemed like the characters and relationships were just starting to solidify when it ended, and then it felt like Serenity rushed through the story to fit it all in. (They were both really good anyway.)

Stupid TV execs.

--------------------

xander92
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 9238

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 15:10      Profile for xander92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BtVS was my favourite, Angel was good too, I love The OC , but it's not a geek TV serie probably, altough one of its main characters was geeky (seth).
Actually I learned the word "geek" from The OC.

--------------------
Life's a show and we all play our parts

Posts: 3 | From: Turkey | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 16:05      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't believe no one has mentioned "Misfits of Science"

I totally wanted to be Johnny Volt!

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 16:54      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quantum Leap

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2007 17:23      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not a TV series as such, but this geeky comedy trio have a regular spot on an aussie TV comedy show.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture