homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Nausea remedies? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Nausea remedies?
Jessycat

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted June 03, 2007 13:33      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey everyone.

We have a guy at the show who just started chemo (for follicular lymphoma) and has been vomiting all afternoon. We ran out and got him a bunch of ginger stuff (gingerale, teas, candies, cookies) since that's supposed to be good for nausea.

Any other non-medical remedies you can suggest?

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 13:41      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they haven't anything against it, or piss testing. This is supposed to do wonders.

-

Though I don't know of any real remedies for the sickness and nausea that comes from chemo.

Good luck to your work mate, I wish him well.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 14:31      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there is much you can do for the nausea in that situation - the cause is external.

I wish your colleague all the best and hope that the side effects don't get too bad...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 14:34      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it can legally be used for medicinal purposes now in canada....

Anyhoo.

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Maggs
Geek
Member # 4682

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 14:39      Profile for Maggs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try ginseng, or chamomile tea
Posts: 193 | From: NYC | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 14:44      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroomy beat me to it, but I have to seriously second his recommendation. I have read that cannibis eases nausia and surpesses the vomit reaction. It's also an analgesic, so if he's suffering any pain from the chemo or the disease it will help with that too. Not to mention that it will probably help if he has a surpressed appetite from chemo as well.

There truly /is/ medical reasoning behind why they want to be able to prescribe cannibis for chemo patients.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jessycat

Member # 1171

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 14:58      Profile for Jessycat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

He went home for the second show, and I would not be at all surprised if he has access to the remedy prescribed by Drs. Shroomy and M2K2. I hope so, anyway. [Smile]

Blah.

Posts: 490 | From: NYC | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 15:13      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever you do to help your friend, be aware that natural and herbal remedies can interact with the the drugs used in chemotheraphy and have side effects that can be very serious. Any remedy he wants to try should be discussed with his doctor before he starts it to ensure there isn't a possiblity of a dangerous interaction.

The most obvious example, since we have a lot of people without medical training advocating it, is marijuanna. Chemotherapy suppresses the immune system and THC (an analog of which is available in capsule form by prescription, all legal and legitimate) also suppresses the immune system. Putting both together may supress the immune system too far and put him at risk for life threatening infections. This is something he should look to his doctor for guidance with, not random drug users off the internet.

Reference: http://sulcus.berkeley.edu/mcb/165_001/papers/manuscripts/_255.html

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 15:35      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
Chemotherapy suppresses the immune system and THC (an analog of which is available in capsule form by prescription, all legal and legitimate) also suppresses the immune system. Putting both together may supress the immune system too far and put him at risk for life threatening infections. This is something he should look to his doctor for guidance with, not random drug users off the internet.

Reference: http://sulcus.berkeley.edu/mcb/165_001/papers/manuscripts/_255.html

And the random drug user takes a bow.

Thanks for the source of reference steen, fuck you very much. It will prove to be quite useful to learn a bit more the possible side effects of chemo.

As he did say I am no doctor, just a drunk and a pot head. While I guess the suppressed immune system is a bad thing. I do believe that I am safe to assume that most of the people that do advocate the usage of cannabis during their treatment probably consider it a "6 of one and half a dozen of the other" type of situation.

Guess I'll go have a beer. [Razz]

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 17:22      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom wrote:
Thanks for the source of reference steen, fuck you very much. It will prove to be quite useful to learn a bit more the possible side effects of chemo.

As he did say I am no doctor, just a drunk and a pot head. While I guess the suppressed immune system is a bad thing. I do believe that I am safe to assume that most of the people that do advocate the usage of cannabis during their treatment probably consider it a "6 of one and half a dozen of the other" type of situation.

You know what? I have a supressed immune system because of a transplant and I've been hospitalized several times this year alone because of infections. The last time around, it was discovered that I'd contracted cryptococcus meningitis and it damned near killed me. Now I'll spend anywhere from a year to the rest of my life taking fluconazole to prevent a re-infection.

Telling someone that they should consult their doctor and learn the actual risks rather than listening to hearsay before they screw up their immune system is damned good advice. If you have a problem with that, you really are a fucking idiot.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 17:43      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't say that.

But I still think your little snide comment about random drug users was trite. So while I do feel bad for your situation and wish you well. I still think that it was a dickhead line.

And I did mean that I will read through it, because I do find it interesting. But go piss up a rope, nonetheless.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 18:02      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[shake head] Boys, boys, boys! Don't make me come up there.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 19:46      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CommanderShroom wrote:
But I still think your little snide comment about random drug users was trite. So while I do feel bad for your situation and wish you well. I still think that it was a dickhead line.

So what exactly should I have written? Instead of "random drug users" maybe I could have said "arbitrary people from the internet with no medical training, but who are perfectly intelligent otherwise, who happen to use drugs but don't realize all the interactions that might result?" Would that politically correct bullshit have made you happy?

Three people suggested marijuanna before I posted, not just you Mr. Sensitive. I also pointed out that THC analog capsules are availble and legal in case that was an issue. So what. exactly, was so snide or dickheaded about my use of the phrase "random drug user"?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 20:09      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 03, 2007 20:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll second Maggs recommendation of chamomile tea, it worked well for Mrs Druid when on chemo.

I'll also second Steens advice, when on chemo, anything unusual you put in your body should be checked with your quack first, there are all kinds of nasty interactions that can happen.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2007 02:15      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peppermint (as in peppermint tea, peppermint candies) is supposed to help with nausea too.

My mom swears by Coca-Cola. But I think that is just because she likes it. (Possibly back when the "coke" was still in the cola it might have been?)

Here's a link to a page on a cancer support site that addresses some chemo side effects, including the nausea: Chemotherapy Problems and Solutions.

Good luck. And tell him bald guys are hot. (Use Vin Diesel as a point of reference.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2007 06:19      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
And tell him bald guys are hot. (Use Vin Diesel as a point of reference.)

If you Google for "Vin Diesel breakdancing" you'll notice he had hair at that time, which kind of proves fs's point that he had to lose the hair to level-up on hotness.
Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2007 13:45      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dealing with a toddler going through chemo nausea, we learned that there is nothing one can do except do whatever comforting things are wanted or needed.

Anti-nausea food won't fix it. Nothing fixes it.

Think about it this way: the chemotherapy is designed to kill cancer cells. Seeing as chemo doesn't have a brain, it poisons ALL the cells; the quick-generating ones (blood, bone marrow, and cancer cells) die first, and the hardier cells have to last through the poison and its side effects.

When we are poisoned, our body does everything it can to evacuate it -- our primary natural reaction being that we vomit whenever we ingest a poison (reason why you throw up after drinking too much alcohol . . . your body is trying to keep you alive).

There's nothing anyone can do, in essence. However, if he asks for a sandwich on a "good day"? Then by all means take him to lunch!

And yes, just about the only thing that can shut down those unpleasantries is cannibis, which is why medical marijuana has such a huge debate roiling around it. One must ask one's self: Why should the Calvinist suffering-is-good theory have to apply to everyone?

In my mind? It shouldn't. However, I consider that because it alters perception, people need to understand that when one uses it, one really ought not be doing much else at the time (definitely not driving).

*EDIT*: I got a second look around at the posts again, and it seems other things besides cannibis work for certain people. Steen is right about making sure one is aware of the drug interactions, but when one is dying, it seems sort-of small. I hope he starts with the teas and goes from there.

All good advice. [Smile]

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2007 13:54      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Under the assumption that he has medical insurance, there are some good antiemitics available by prescription.

Otherwise, the Dr. Shroom prescription, or larger doses of something OTC like Dramamine might help.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2007 14:13      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
So what. exactly, was so snide or dickheaded about my use of the phrase "random drug user"?

Come on, Steen - you're smarter than that. There is no way to read that phrase other than as a pejorative.

"Random" - in the context of your phrase ..."insignificant" or "unqualified to comment".

"drug user" - define an "us and them" boundary, why don't you? How many drugs do you use?
Does the idea that yours are prescribed make you smarter than someone whose drugs are sourced outside the mainstream? You can't denigrate someone's intellectual capacity simply because they use chemicals on a recreational basis.

By all means rubbish someone's ideas or theories, that's part of a debate, but if you start rubbishing people, that's just cheap.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2007 14:37      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash wrote:
Come on, Steen - you're smarter than that. There is no way to read that phrase other than as a pejorative.

"Random" - in the context of your phrase ..."insignificant" or "unqualified to comment".

"drug user" - define an "us and them" boundary, why don't you? How many drugs do you use?
Does the idea that yours are prescribed make you smarter than someone whose drugs are sourced outside the mainstream? You can't denigrate someone's intellectual capacity simply because they use chemicals on a recreational basis.

By all means rubbish someone's ideas or theories, that's part of a debate, but if you start rubbishing people, that's just cheap.

This is stupid at this point, but I'm going to reply.

First, the guy needs to talk to -his- doctor. Not anyone else, regardless of mental capacity. -His- doctor is the only one who knows exactly what drugs are being used in chemotherapy and has access to blood test results and other information necesssary to make the correct decisions. None of us are qualified to replace that.

Second, has it occurred to you that I don't consider the words "drug user" to be any more insulting than words "brown haired"?

Finally, read my posts. I did not name anyone and, as I pointed out, multiple people had suggested marijuanna. CommanderShroom just assumed that I was insulting him.

He was wrong.

You are wrong.

Get the fuck over it already.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2007 16:04      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me points westward

Isn't that a gorgeous sunset? I love sunsets. They're so nice and peaceful. Nice. And peaceful. . . erm. Nice?

Ummm. . . I'm making seven layer bars. That might be something we can all do as a kind of group thing. Sort of a "pans across the world" kind of thing.

*sigh*

<*head.desk*>

it's okay, because my life is about to deconstruct. I have 1 kid who is an asshat and evil and throws other kids' backpacks into bushes. The other is nice. Could we please get along here because my life on the other side of the screen's a little dodgy right now. Steen meant nothing by it except that as a person dealing with serious medical issues, he feels that in life-and-death situations, drug interactions should be taken into consideration and it can have deadly effects. His concern is with a person who is dying of cancer.

We ought to not be fighting among ourselves, because, to put it bluntly, it's bullshit. It is, okay? Drug use is stupid because it's escapism, but certain natural drugs help. That said, one has to consider one's alternatives, and that's what's being brought up.

Crap. Never mind. I'm only making it worse.

--------------------
Opinion is not Truth; that is why each has its own definition. Illiteracy sucks.

Posts: 1370 | From: Whaddya mean, Arizona? | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2007 16:20      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just_Jess_B:
I don't think you made it worse, if only because you reminded me that other people read these posts.

To you, I will apologize for not being the better person and turning the other cheek. I will not apologize to Grummash or CommanderShroom, but neither will I respond to them any further on this subject.

I'd also like to add an apology for procrastinating in the the worst way over finishing the email that I started after I finished reading "Beneath a Sunless Sky" three weeks ago. I kinda suck at finishing things like that [Frown]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Just_Jess_B

Member # 2161

Icon 1 posted June 04, 2007 16:32      Profile for Just_Jess_B   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen:

*hug* You're kinda busy with all that life stuff right now. The email can wait. Thanks for reading what I wrote, and I am still thinking of you every day and wanting you to get better.

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 04, 2007 18:14      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well for what little it may be worth after the fact, I do owe you an apology, Steen. My actions and attitude were uncalled for and juvenile at best.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture