homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Any Disadvantages of keeping my NiCad discharged for 1 Year?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any Disadvantages of keeping my NiCad discharged for 1 Year?
bs9999
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 8333

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 19:20      Profile for bs9999     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a 18V 1.7Ah NiCad Rechargeable Battery (came with my Worx WG150 Grass Trimmer..includes a charger that wont overcharge battery). I want to put it in my closet and not use it for a year. My question...

Can i just completely discharge it and just store it in my closet for the year, then, after the year, recharge it in full and use it with no problems of any kind? Is that how NiCad's can be maintained for the longest possible time?

Would dendrites build up in this battery since it is not being used regularly...but recall that this NiCd battery would not have a charge at all and so dendrites shouldnt be a problem since that is a problem for NiCd's carrying a charge?!?

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 10, 2007 20:03      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This seems pretty reasonable, but I think it's a bit optimistic:

quote:

Nickel Cadmium

Linden: Handbook of Batteries and Fuel Cells

The sealed nickel-cadmium cell can be stored in the charged or discharged state without damage. It can be restored for service by recharging (one or two charge/discharge cycles). [Ed. note: or three charge/discharge cycles].

Panasonic NiCad Battery Storage

Store NiCad batteries in a dry location with low humidity, no corrosive gasses, and at temperature range of -20C to +45C. Storing batteries where humidity is extremely high, or where temperatures fall below -20C or above +45C

Because long term storage can accelerate battery self-discharge, and lead to the deactivation of reactants, locations where the temperature ranges between +10C and +30C are suitable for long term storage.

When storing batteries for more than one year, charge at least once a year to prevent leakage and deterioration of performancedue to self-discharging. When using a rapid voltage detection charger carry out charge and discharge at least once ever 6 months.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture