homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Site Hosting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Site Hosting
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 29, 2007 20:54      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm looking for the best free website hosting site that doesn't bombard the viewer with ads, like Geocities/Yahoo does. Is there anything else available to host a site for free?
Posts: 309 | From: Canada | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted April 29, 2007 22:21            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Care to be more specific? Plain HTML? PHP? Perl? How much data? How much traffic anticipated per month?

I should be able to slot sites onto the side of mine, as a dreamhosters.com subdomain (or a domain name if you have or want to get one).

IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 04:53      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow uilleann is back!!! yay !!

Umm I would recommend just getting a cheap hosting plan - you can get them as low as 6 dollars a month and you get so much more options then a free one gets you.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 06:08      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NearlyFreeSpeech.net

It's not free, but it's the next best thing...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 06:13      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
something wrong that you can't drop $7us/year for hosting?

all the bandwidth you can use, far more than enough space, all the extras you want, etc

dreamhost FTW

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted April 30, 2007 09:50      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm using awardspace which is pretty great for me, 200 MB of storage and 5 GB bandwidth, enough for apersonal site, it has FTP browsing and supports plenty of script languages.
I knew about it here, but it seems ZendURL has improved a lot to take off its first place.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 9 posted April 30, 2007 09:52      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double Post.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 20:55      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So the details are these:

The site is just meant for showing examples of my boyfriend's uncles taxidermy for his business. Until he buys a computer and gets internet access, I'll need one for free. Fees will be fine afterwards, but just for now I'm looking for the best free one. Not looking to get my own credit card invested yet!

Thanks so far [Smile]

CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 21:06      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does your ISP offer a free page at all?

I know most of the ones I have used do. That could be a decent way to start off.

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 30, 2007 21:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reminded of something TFD said awhile ago - M$ offers something called "Office Live," which I believe includes a free domain name and basic hosting. You probably sell your soul to them, or something, but YMMV. I haven't visited the site, or even Googled it, so I make no guarantee on these claims.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2007 07:06      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
I'm reminded of something TFD said awhile ago - M$ offers something called "Office Live," which I believe includes a free domain name and basic hosting. You probably sell your soul to them, or something, but YMMV. I haven't visited the site, or even Googled it, so I make no guarantee on these claims.

free? yup.

forced to use web-interface to do *anything*? yup.

can't change the header or background images except for the color schemes they give you? yup.

www.sataniclemon.com - i can't get rid of that crap, so i dropped ever trying to do anything with it and got www.demoniclemon.com instead

if you can deal with having those images/logos right at the top, then go for it

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mel
Alpha Geek
Member # 3553

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 01, 2007 13:26      Profile for Mel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...maybe I'll settle for Geocities then for the time being. It's temporary anyways. But thanks for the info on the cheap site hosting! I'm totally dumb when it comes to the FTP and hosting part of website creation. Are there any sites to teach me about hosting, like Site Hosting for Dummies or something?
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 01, 2007 13:50            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh come now, I taught SuperGoo Windows command line FTP with not too much trouble and, disturbingly, I think console FTP is still her FTP client of choice (of course, the UNIX one in Mac OS X now).

FTP in Windows is worrying -- Windows Explorer makes FTP trivial by treating the remote site as if it were another folder on your hard drive, yet people even find this frustratingly impossible. I despair.

FTP is the least of your worries as it's very easy to be talked through using Explorer or console FTP; there are plenty of graphical clients out there but I am not versed in the current models -- I just use FlashFXP 2.1 from 2003, and Fetch 3 from pre-flood days. If I am on an unfamiliar Windows or OS X machine, I just use the command line.

The fun part is building the site ... creating all the pages and graphics. Geocities has Yahoo! Page Builder for that, but that was a neverending source of frustration and stress for a certain Geocities-using friend, who wasn't quite willing to learn HTML for herself yet :)

I don't know how many pages you want. If it's just one or two, and it's a throwaway site where you don't mind the Trailer Trash of the Internet image, then Geocities and Page Builder will suffice. You also have to realise that middle-click is hosed in Geocities as their argorrible JavaScript opens the same page in both tabs. I've AdBlocked the offending code so I can get my navigation back.

I'd never have a friend settle with GeoCities ... typically they've had a subdomain of one of my two sites. No ads, more space, no ugly scripting to battle, and a better image. On the other hand, they have to write all their own code unless they want me to install a CMS package. Generally they just wrote their own code (SuperGoo included) but a couple of people got me to put phpBB up for them.

Other alternatives for content are things like gallery generator programs, FrontPage (!) or PageMill on an old Macintosh, or find a friend willing to knock something up for free.

Basic HTML though isn't that hard :)

IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2007 06:04      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one mentioned Googlepages?

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture