homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Web site ideas wanted

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Web site ideas wanted
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 11:41      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During my cleaning I came across one of my more unusual possessions... a copy of "Collier's Cyclopedia of Commercial and Social Information and Treasury of Useful and Entertaining Knowledge" circa 1888 (a bit of the 1882 edition can be seen here). Some of the things in the book are interesting and some parts, like the first aid section, are hilarious. Since the binding is falling off the book anyway, I'm going to dismantle and scan sections of the book and eventually put them online.

The problem is, I have no good ideas for how to put together a site with a lot of scanned in pages (100+) that will look good and be easy to navigate. I've done some searching and, so far, none of the sites I've seen would be easy to navigate for a lot of pages, nor do they look very good. Most of them are a huge page of thumbnails which works for small numbers of pages, but I'm probably going to put up over 100 pages.

My question is: Do you know of any sites of this sort that would be easy to navigate when scaled up to 100+ scanned pages and still look halfway decent in doing so?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 11:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't speak for how it'd look after 100 pages...but I saw this the other day:
http://paranoia.dubfire.net/2007/04/foia-fun-or-how-phishers-hacked-into-iu.html

...which presents scanned documents as such:
http://picasaweb.google.com/csoghoian/IUCreditUnionPhishingDocuments/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huicho
Geek-in-Training
Member # 7905

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 20, 2007 15:06      Profile for Huicho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen it done using FLEX 2.0 from adobe, but that was in class. I have't seen a page with it.
Posts: 35 | From: Sierra Vista, AZ | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2007 06:03      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By pure coincidence John Gruber at Daring Fireball posted a link to Harpers Magazine as they have put their /entire/ back catalogue online (yes all 156 years worth) which might give you an idea or two.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 21, 2007 06:12      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is an interesting layout, although they've only put selected parts of the magazines online and none of the fun stuff like advertisements for products we wouldn't dream of using today, the fashion column, the political cartoons which I mostly couldn't understand and the like.

Still, I think I can get some ideas from it.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 21, 2007 06:19      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to be of service... [Big Grin]

I know what you mean though, a lot of the fun in those really old magazines and the like is the ads and so on - "Brand X with added Uranium makes your washing positively glow!" etc.

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture