homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Wireless & Wired downloads

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wireless & Wired downloads
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 05:15      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

A friend of mine asked me the following

He wants to surf the net using the wired connection but download using the wireless.

Is it possible to tell the programs (uTorrent etc) to chose one or the other?

regards

Mike

Posts: 127 | From: Ireland | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 06:20      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
in a word: no.

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 06:22      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it COULD be done, but would req. 2 internet connections and a lot of routing and port forwarding changes and/or a second computer

worth the effort? nope, not at all

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 07:30      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's almost crazy enough to try [Big Grin]

Under windows it would be a nightmare... on mac it would be hard. Under Unix it would just be tricky - like ct said, plumbing a lot of port handling, routing, etc.

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 08:14      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure he doesn't mean surf with wireless and download with the hard line?

This is what I do. I have an old computer in the corner that is connected to my router via cat5 and does all my downloading. The box in the corner doesn't even have a monitor and can be controlled by any of my laptops. I do my surfing on my laptops. These are always usually lying all over the house. If i want a large (legal) file I downlaod it to the box in the corner first and then will usually stream the content to my laptop. This way my storage is not done on more expensive laptop drives.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spiderman

Solid Nitrozanium Superfan!
Member # 1609

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 10:26      Profile for Spiderman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
If i want a large (legal) file I downlaod it to the box in the corner first and then will usually stream the content to my laptop. This way my storage is not done on more expensive laptop drives.

What about the illegal files?

--------------------
Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Posts: 846 | From: Chicago | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 11:03      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I said to him that it "Might" be possible playing around with port forwarding but I think he is looking for a software level solution on xp.

It stumped me, so I thought id ask you guys

-ct-
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 04, 2007 12:24      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mikebyrne:
I said to him that it "Might" be possible playing around with port forwarding but I think he is looking for a software level solution on xp.

It stumped me, so I thought id ask you guys

won't happen the way he thinks he wants it

--------------------

drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 09:34      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On XP? Good luck.

On *nix, it's do-able. Mark a packet based on its destination port, and then route it out an interface based on that mark.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 05, 2007 13:01      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No problem.

install vmware.
install FreeBSD.

Give FreeBSD control over the network hardware and set it up as a NATing firewall. The two physical IP addresses are on one side and something private like 10.0.0.1 is on the NAT side.

Use the packet shaping rules to route port 80 traffic over the wired link and all else over the wireless link.

Have the windows VM only connect to port 10.0.0.1

Piece of cake [Big Grin]

Posts: 2901 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mikebyrne
Geek
Member # 5105

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 15:54      Profile for Mikebyrne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers, I'll pass the info on!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture