homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Replacing a GPU heat sink and fan

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Replacing a GPU heat sink and fan
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 27, 2007 19:13      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello all!

I'm replacing the OEM heat sink and fan on my aging ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I have to apply the thermal paste and then set the fan/heat sink onto the GPU, however I don't know how long I should wait before placing the card back in my system (or if I even have to wait at all).

Do I need to let it set for an hour? Overnight? Five minutes? [Confused]

I'm not usually one to modify my hardware at all other than the typical add/remove expansion cards, etc. but this card is getting more and more noisy and it's high time shut it up. It'll probably be another three to six months before I have enough pennies for a Mac Pro with an X1900 in it (or whatever monster graphics card they are putting in them by then).

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 19:45      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I did the same thing to my NVidia in my MDD I think it said to wait about 15 minutes or something small. I let it just hang out for a couple hours, then popped it in.

I put an Arctic Cooling NV Silencer on it - cost me a bay, but it was worth it. No more WoW lockups on that box [Big Grin]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
CoffeeSmack
Mini Geek
Member # 3937

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 27, 2007 21:25      Profile for CoffeeSmack         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks... To tell the truth, I wanted an Arctic Cooler that had the extra air out-take specifically for my 9800, but the particular model was impossible to find. The generic one they made for what seems like every card on the planet had some rather negative views on most places I looked.

I've opted for a simple heat sink/fan combo that will leave me with a setup that's not much different than the original design, albeit more powerful and (hopefully) much quieter.

Posts: 62 | From: Mount Joy, PA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 28, 2007 09:00      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thermal paste doesn't need to wait at all. It doesn't cure.

Just don't put too much of it on.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2007 14:03      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
Thermal paste doesn't need to wait at all. It doesn't cure.

Just don't put too much of it on.

if you see a white film, you put too much on

you REALLY don't need a huge glob at all - that's why when you buy it it only comes in .25oz at a time

if you use .05 oz, you used too much

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture