homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Have I killed my iBook?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Have I killed my iBook?
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 03:33      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK I am in a real "pant soiling" situation here

I had a g4 Sawtooth tower misbehaving... it went total toes up and would not boot - attempting to reinstall the system from CD (clean install on wiped HDDs - by this point just making it work was all that mattered) would fail at about 2/3 through everytime.

Deciding that maybe either the CD or the CD drive was a bit past its best I booted the tower into target disk and connected it to my iBook and installed Tiger from DVD... So far so good

Booted the G4 tower and decided to save a lot of aggravation (doh! read on...) and migrate accounts from the G4 iBook to the tower to save all that reinstalling.

This is where it goes bad... put the iBook into target and started to migrate from it... G4 tower kernel panics - G4 tower will not boot, try to boot the 5 mins earlier perfect iBook... kernel panic..., try boot from 10.4 dvd - kernel panic! 10.3 CD - kernel panic...

Reset PRAM, go to firmware and reset NV-RAM,
reboot - kernel panic... do the reset PMU malarkey, you can see where this is going now can't you?

Only 2 things can be accessed now - OF which does nothing and Target Disk - but any Mac that is connected to that immediately KPs...

Single User mode fails with some goobledigook and "Panicking we are hanging here"

What the hell has happened? and is there anything at all I can do? I am sh*t out of tricks here now - my last resort is going to be a PPC Linux CD and hope I can wipe the HDD and start again... I was up till 4:00am trying to figure out a plan but nothing works - I cannot get the iBook to boot or be booted or basically fsck all (if I could do fsck it would be something...)

I am crying and sh*tting myself at the same time here - I might stand buying a new HDD (although how a perfectly good one can be "blown" like that I don't know) but I don't have the cash to go buying another iBook...

weep weep weep - help me!!!!!!

Clutching at straws now....

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 03:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak __________________ On the tower try this disconnect the HDD and attempt to boot from the CD or with no OS the firm ware should bring up the "?"

I think some thing is getting to the master boot record on your HDD's

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 03:56      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now I could not give a fig for the tower... it is worth maybe 50 tops - my iBook however is in the 400 bracket to replace [cry baby]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 04:05      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yow! That is terrible.

Judging by how much you have done already, I suppose you have tried: removing third party RAM and disconnecting all USB, firewire, and network devices. I might even take out the airport card for the heck of it if you have one. Do you have an OS 9 boot disk? I've read that that will work sometimes when everything else fails.

You probably know everything in these two articles, but just in case:
KP Help One

KP help two

I really hope you can get it going again. Good luck!

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 04:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak __________________________________ I mentioned the tower because it is easier to get to the HDD. Does not require a disassembly.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 06:19      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks you two yup I know what you mean Mo Man, didn't mean to be snappy at ya... but 350 kinda makes ya twitchy [Frown]

Yes Scot I have tried every trick I know including OS9 (I think the firmware may be too new for that but all to no avail...

I just don't know what could do such amazing damage just like that... also I am loathe to try plugging any more Macs into the affected ones - as if the G4 brought down the iBook what is to stop the iBook bringing down another Mac???

Trying to boot from an Ubuntu PPC CD does nothing my wife has informed me... last hope is dying fast... [cry baby]

The worst of it is that it was a a beautiful machine running perfectly...

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 06:40      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak - I would love to be able to give you the answer, but you have tried everything I can think of.

The only other idea I can suggest, ..and you are probably trying to avoid this sort of speculation... is whether there was any static shorted when you hitched it up to the G4 Tower... [Frown]

Other than opening the beggar up and trying a different "known-good" HDD, I am at a loss what to suggest. I hope someone knows the answer. [ohwell]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2007 08:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Serenak ____________________ I want you to face the tower, now hold your hands like a Catholic priest and say"I can play dominos better than you can". Then disconect all drives. Atempt to boot, It should show the question mark. Connect the CD-ROM and put in an OS CD see if will at least spinup the CD if not the tower is toast, wait a minute is the battery good? I hope you have a multimeter.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 23, 2007 17:45      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hooray for Ubuntu PPC Live CD...

Despite my wife not being able to make it boot I defiantly attempted it anyway, starting with the Sawtooth on the grounds that if it blew up I would lose the least... first time - no go, by this point it was "the Tower is toast anyway" and at best I might save the iBook with a new HDD (40+ [Frown] Boo!!!)

Second try seemed to try a bit before it fell over... Brute force and ignorance made me just try it again regardless and "Lo it doth boot thee live CD!!!"

Bonus - once the live CD was up the option to wipe the HDD is available and the fact that Linux don't use HFS+ means it cares not about whatever is wrong with the HFS+ disk it just writes over it with Rieser or whatever Ubuntu uses...

Once Ubuntu was up and running the ability to boot the Apple installer CD/DVD was restored because the HFS+ corruption was removed and the KP caused by the disk checking was gone - much as I had been hoping for. Disk Utility was then ableto reformat back to HFS+ and the road was open...

With the G4 Tower undergoing the Tiger reinstall the Ubuntu CD went into the iBook and miraculously booted first try and currently Ubuntu is installed and running... tomorrow the Apple DVD will go in to put it back to HFS+ and reinstall the Tiger.

Don't get me wrong I like Linux but on my Macs I like to run Mac OS. But any Wintel box that crosses my path usually leaves my domain as a Linux box [Big Grin]

Thank all and any deities you care to for the OS multiculture... it was the fact that Mac and Ubuntu use different DFSs that made this rescue possible. That and the fact that PPC Linux can still be downloaded.

Me - I am happy and relieved that my iBook is not dead, but I don't relish the dry cleaning bill [Big Grin]

[thumbsup] [thumbsup] [Applause]

--------------------

RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2007 11:10      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay! Glad you had success.
Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 25, 2007 13:03      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had a couple of difficulties with the iBook trying to reinstall - the original 10.3 disks won't boot it (wtf? - only thing I can think is I have upped the firmware version beyond the capability of the original disks) and my Tiger "full retail version" won't install the trackpad (too early for the later double touch trackpad?)

Resorted to borrowing back another iBook I sold recently and cloning that for the system... typically this would not have been a problem a week later as my NAS arrives tomorrow and full bootable clones will be stored on there.

Anyway it is now up and running properly - just have to set it back up with all the user accounts etc. - Still in light of the recent problems that is trivial.

At least it was not so fried as to need either an HDD or worse.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture