homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Help with monitor calibration

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with monitor calibration
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 13:03      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not long ago, I was lucky enough to get a good deal on a refurb 24" iMac. I am starting to get more into digital photography, but I am struggling with developing an acurate workflow. I took an online class through betterphoto.com to try and get better with the monitor to print process and have read a ton of stuff but I am still confused. My main problem has been that when I want to print a large print (8x10 and up) I don't get a good match to my monitor. Do any of you pros have some suggestions on how to do this on a budget? Here is my current workflow and setup:

Canon Rebel: set at sRGB (I've read that maybe I should change this to adobeRGB) Shooting in RAW format.

My monitor is the iMac 24" screen calibrated with the entry-level colorvision Spyder suite. I have the gamma at 1.8, but I've read that for prints, I should calibrate at 2.2 and 6500K.

I import my photos with image capture, browse them with adobe Bridge, and convert to photoshop images. I use photoshop elements 4, set to sRGB (optimize for display) to match my camera settings. Once I am happy with the exposure and clean-up of the photo, I convert it to a high-quality JPG with the color profile embeded. I send it to Shutterfly for printing. The small prints from Shutterfly are pretty good and match my screen fairly well but the large prints are kind of washed out. This whole thing has made me realize that print professionals have a hard job! Can a hobbiest get vivid, accurate, color on a budget? If so, how?

Thanks!

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 14:32      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes you should immediately shift to at least the Adobe98 workspace... (but there is nothing to be gained in changing older sRGB claibrated pics after the event...)

Also you are correct that 2.2 is now considered a standard Gamma and 1.8 (older Mac standard) is now basically deprecated

Colour management and workflow management is still a bit of a "dark art" even amongst professionals...

One of the most misunderstood parts is the the K reading... 6500K is the default - but that equates to a standard W European "clear day" (The K is basically a measure of the input "brightness" for the viewing... if you set a low K it means you are assuming your prints will be viewed in lower light, say indoors by tungsten lamps, higher means real daylight, higher still bright sunshine or under direct lighting - it is not unusual for exhibiting photographers to create prints with a high K for display under gallery lights and set the prints they sell to a lower K - as that is likely how they will be seen...

PM me and I will send you a starter guide to colour calibration from a speaker at our MUG who is a colour calibration professional, with real world hints and tips as well as genuine explanations as to how calibration actually works and should be done...

Also you say the bigger prints seem washed out - you need to check that the resolution you are sending is up to the enlargement... (don't want to tell you how to suck eggs...)

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 15:17      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks a bunch!

I just sent off a PM.

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2007 15:35      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reply and attachment sent [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture