homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Outdated computer parts vendor needed.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Outdated computer parts vendor needed.
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 12:40      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My PC is getting older. And I don't want to do a complete overhaul to the system due to lack of funds.

The place I used to get my older parts from started doing the latest and greats parts only. They no longer have the old parts. Even about 6 months ago I could still get a PIII. Now I can't even get a socket "A" AMD athlon.

My Mainboard doesn't support the 64 bit AMD processors. But I do know that it supports the faster athlons. AMD only makes the 64 bit CPU's now. From what I can find looking at store websites. I havn't been able to find a store that has even one that will work.

And e-Bay is out. I have come to loath that place after the person selling me a new graphics card did and Oops with a number ( 12Mb was accidentally put down as 128Mb ) He said it was an honest mistake and I got my money back but will no longer be going to that site.

Any ideas on where to start looking for a place to get older parts?

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 13:14      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might try Pana Wholesale. It's been years since I dealt with them (I lived near there and had a friend who worked for them) so I can no longer vouch for them, but they used to have a lot of everything at reasonable prices. [Confused]
Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 14:41      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.aspx?catid=45&entercat=y if you don't mind buying used, otherwise take a look at pricewatch.com
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 08, 2007 18:56      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If do you have a socket A, you should give a try to the AMD Geode NX processors, they're a great balance between performance and energy consumption.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 20:10      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a spare Socket A Athlon lying around somewhere, but I don't know if it's anything like what you're looking for. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 22:11      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metasquares:
I had a spare Socket A Athlon lying around somewhere, but I don't know if it's anything like what you're looking for. I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

I can lay hands on my old Socket A, so if you're interested in it (or the expense that is shipping from Alaska), let me know. [Razz]

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture