homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Diesel cars & trucks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diesel cars & trucks
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 07, 2007 23:40      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey guys, I'm thinking about finally laying the '92 Ford Explore 2-Door Eddie Bauer edition leather interior 4.0L V6 5-speed to rest.

I need suggestions.

To replace it, I want a diesel. I do a lot of highway travel (read: for the past two semesters, I've done round trips of ~240mi every weekend) and I occasionally pull stuff.

Now, I'm a big guy, so most cars are out of the question. However, I recently rode in a VW diesel car (a rabbit?) and it seemed pretty roomy.

My ideal vehicle would be a small diesel pickup. Something slightly larger than your average Ford Ranger. I wouldn't turn down a bigger truck (not like an F350), up to and including something like a Chevy Silverado. No duallies, please.

So yeah, any suggestions on diesel vehicles would be appreciated. I'm unexperienced in this area, so I'm sure I'll ask additional questions.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 03:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nerdwithnofriends ___________________________ I have had a lot of trucks.

Dodge: Their Diesel is a Cummings, rough ride.

Ford: Don't know who makes the Powerstroke, Better ride.

Chevrolet & GMC (same factory): They make their own Diesel, best ride almost car like.

If load hauling is your thing go Dodge, If ride comfort and or a Lady friend Chevy & GMC

Get the Cab and a half option then the passenger can tip back the right seat.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Black Widow
Uber Geek
Member # 3046

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 06:34      Profile for Black Widow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Being a Chevy person, of course I would say Chevy. Except their diesel engine isn't the best and they are overpriced.

My dad has a 12-year-old Dodge diesel truck that runs as good today as it did when he drove it off the lot. Of course, he's done every service on time and taken great care of it. For the money, I would go Dodge.

Posts: 931 | From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 08, 2007 12:27      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough* bump *cough*

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 08:20      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nerdwithnofriends _____________________ Silly boy (*cough* bump *cough*) If we are going any distance the Mrs's MoMan likes to tip the seat back a few degrees, That means on a regular cab she must move the seat forward, then there is no leg room. So unless we are hauling some thing we use the Van, I don't like the van because it says GRANDPA & GRANDMA all over it. (CUSTOM VAN)

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 09, 2007 11:08      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
nerdwithnofriends _____________________ Silly boy (*cough* bump *cough*) If we are going any distance the Mrs's MoMan likes to tip the seat back a few degrees, That means on a regular cab she must move the seat forward, then there is no leg room. So unless we are hauling some thing we use the Van, I don't like the van because it says GRANDPA & GRANDMA all over it. (CUSTOM VAN)

Well, I'd probably need something like that. I'm narcoleptic, but not extreme enough to have my licensed revoked; I can feel an 'episode' coming on long before it arrives, so normally what I do is pull over and take a 10-minute nap. So reclinable seats are kind of a must.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture