homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Wireless base stations

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wireless base stations
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 12:52      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The wireless base station here at Casa del Druid has just gone to the big component bin in the sky, and I'm looking to replace it.

The old dedun was a d-link, and it's had reliability problems (crashing, needing reboot) from the start, so I'm reluctant to get another of the same brand.

Anyone know of a good, reliable, secure wireless base station they can recommend?

Any that you'd definitely not recommend?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 13:18      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally I use a Netgear DG834Gv2

As does my father in law, Jackie's mate round the corner, and my former colleague got one recently online (except his is the v3...)

I have found mine to be easy to set up, it has a nice simple to understand user interface with easy access to all the settings you require, good documentation and a helpful on screen sidebar that explains what it is you are adjusting while you do it and it has been damn reliable. In fact if it hadn't been for a power outage recently mine would now have been up for about 14 months solid

I have also had dealings with Zoom, passable but a bit less user friendly to set up, BT Voyager (apparently Viking Voyager to everyone else) which is partially options nobbled by the supplier (BT) and a bit opaque even if you get past that, and a Speedtouch (can't recall the model exactly) which was initially very very old skool - but a firmware upgrade changed it to be nearly as nice as the Netgear...

But overall my favourite is the Netgear by a pretty big margin

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 14:04            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The BT Voyager is funny ...
IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 15:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Linksys WRT54G - it runs Linux. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 16:28      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

Oh, pity.
Don't you know any that run a proper operating system, like Windows Vista? [evil]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 17:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Famous Druid ______________________ I think we should ask "Jim-in the Forest"

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 18:59      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I LOVED my airport express. Airtunes and a USB port for printing. The down side was it could not be used as a standared router also. The power plug went out on it reacently. I had to toy with it a little to get it lined up right when I plugged it in or it would not turn on. Other then that everything worked on it just fine. I could not get the printer to work with XP but the Macs recognized it as if it was connected to the computer itself.

Becouse of the power thing and just bumping it I would have to do it again I went out and got a Belkin 54g. It has a 5 port router built in bun no USB for a printer and no airtunes. I've only had it about a month so as far as reliablility after that I don't know. But it was easy to set up and it's been working worry free since then.

I don't know if the Airport Express thing was just a fluke or what. It didn't start it till I had it for about a year and a half. And I was not using the plug that came with it. It had the same conection as the one for the power on my iBook and my iBook had an extension cord that used the same adapter. I used it so I could put it up higher and not have it plugged directly into the wall.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
WinterSolstice

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 934

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 19:05      Profile for WinterSolstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an airport express that I use as a wireless bridge. It's not immeditely obvious, but it is possible to use it as a router or bridge [Smile]

--------------------
An operating system should be like a light switch... simple, effective, easy to use, and designed for everyone.

Posts: 1192 | From: Los Angeles | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 03, 2007 21:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a couple of D-Links, they weren't the greatest, and one bit the dust after a few months. I took D-man's advice and picked up a Linksys WRT54G... it's been great so far.

The new airport extreme base station looks nice. I like the shared hard drive/printer option too.

Posts: 8100 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 03:58      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have good luck with Netgear, my wired ADSL router from them started developing weirdass problems after I had it about a year (for example, it's internal DNS server would reverse the IP address returned on certain name lookups (reverse as in the dotted form that it's usually written down as). I couldn't work out why my computer hated myspace, for months...

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 12:00      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:

Oh, pity.
Don't you know any that run a proper operating system, like Windows Vista? [evil]

Hahaha...but Windows Vista requires at least a 1GHz processor and something like a gig of RAM - I don't expect to see that any time soon on a 10/100 router. ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 04, 2007 14:40      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

*insert game show style "wrong answer" buzzer sound here*

Sorry, dragonman, not anymore. Ever since Rev. 5, the WRT54G runs propriatary software. If you get a WRT54G, get a Rev. 4 model or lower, or get the WRT54GL (for about $10-15 more), which still runs Linux.

My parents have a Rev. 3 with the stock Linux-based firmware and have never, ever had a problem with it. I can't recommend enough the Linux verson of this router, it's truly great!!

I have a Rev. 5 at home and one at work and have had similar problems with both: firmware updates that don't update correctly, crashes requiring a power cycle during high-bandwidth usage (think downloading torrents), and the remote access from https never works correctly.

Also, this may be of some interest to you.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
supaboy
SuperFan!
Member # 183

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 05, 2007 06:23      Profile for supaboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with MMKK's take on the firmware updates for the Linksys WRT54G v.5 router. I've had trouble installing them.

However, mine has been pretty stable. My wireless connection drops occasionally, but I live in an apartment complex and there's no telling what the 12-15 other access points my laptop can see are doing. I'm the only one not on channel 6 or 11, though.

Posts: 1767 | From: Columbia, SC USA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture