homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Using RF modulator and switch to connect N64 to TV? I need some help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Using RF modulator and switch to connect N64 to TV? I need some help!
TetrisRock
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2007 11:06      Profile for TetrisRock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I just bought a Nintendo 64 off of eBay but i'm having a little trouble connection it to the TV properly.

I've put all the connectors in the right places, just as Nintendo's website says:
Locate the TV's VHF IN [ANT, CATV, 75S(ohm)] or Cable Connector.
Remove the existing cable wire from TV's VHF IN.
Connect the short, thick wire (labeled TV) of RF Switch to VHF IN.
Connect existing cable wire to the silver post labeled ANT on RF switch.
Plug the RF Modulator into the Multi-Out connector on the back of the system
Connect the thin wire (labeled Control Deck) of the RF Switch to the RF Modulator (labeled RF Out).

But then this last instruction puzzles me.
Set the switch labeled 3/4 of the RF Modulator to either 3 or 4 and then match the channel of the TV to 3 or 4.

How exactly do you do this? I can't find any way of setting the switch to a channel. Is there meant to be something on the RF modulator so you can switch it or are you meant to do it on your tv, and if so, how?

I have both the cable for the N64 and my sky digital box plugged into the RF switch and I know they're in the right ones because my Sky box is working.

Can anyone help?! Sorry if this isn't the right forum... I just couldn't find one more appropriate.

Posts: 15 | From: Scotland | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2007 11:11      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's about the switch on the back of the console that has "3" on one side, and "4" on the other (well, it's usually up/down, really). If you put it to "3", you will see th output on channel 3 of your tv, just as putting it on 4 will show on channel 4. Or at least, that's how my video recorder works, and I would guess it's just the same.

This is so because there can be a public broadcasts on one or the other, but rarely both. So you can continue to watch the public broadcast without unplugging your console.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
TetrisRock
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 02, 2007 13:11      Profile for TetrisRock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still can't find the switch!

Thanks for your help though. At least it's giving me some leads as to what the hell Nintendo are on about!

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted March 02, 2007 22:00      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's on the thing that plugs into the 64, if I recall correctly. You know, the little black brickey-thingy that goes in where the RCA cable normally would.
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 00:32      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have an old TV that does not have any A/V inputs?

If not get one of these Nintendo A/V Cable

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 03:32      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TetrisRock ____________________ On this page near the bottom there are two methods of hooking up,

If you do NOT have AV inputs, you will need to use an RF Switch and RF Modulator for your hookup. The RF Switch and Modulator are sold separately. (Where to buy):

I hope this helps.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/nintendo64/hookups.jsp

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 03, 2007 04:54      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe this would be useful: Nintendo 64 RF to VCR Hookup. If it is still not working maybe the cables or the RF modulator are damaged.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
TetrisRock
Maximum Newbie
Member # 5691

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted March 03, 2007 17:47      Profile for TetrisRock   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the help guys. Turns out I didn't really need to mess around with it to get it working at all...

Out of the blue it started working on Channel 7 of my TV, which is the same channel I use for my playstation so even better.

I thought about getting an AV cable but thankfully i've saved a bit of money and haven't had any more trouble with it.

Ta!

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture