homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Help with Cisco Catalyst 2950?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with Cisco Catalyst 2950?
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 25, 2007 17:06      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any Cisco experts around here? I've just acquired a discarded Cisco Catalyst 2950C-24 and I can't figure out how to clear its existing IP address settings. I've tried the hold-the-Mode-button-for-8-seconds routine described on Cisco's website, but I still can't get back to the Express Setup function. I get the CMS console page, but I don't see any way there to reset the base IP address, and I'd rather not reconfigure the rest of my network.

If it helps at all, the switch was manufactured on 23 Dec. 2003 and appears to be running version 12.1(22)EA2 (whatever that means) of the firmware. I don't have a Cisco serial cable, but I can hack one up if there's absolutely no other way.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated, and perhaps one day I can return the favour.

TIA,
Dave Corbett

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 17:54      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually...it /should/ be more like 10s. After 3s, it'll blink, and I think it takes another 7 for it to acknowledge that you _really_ want to reset it. However, you can disable that mode, as it is quite a dangerous thing. If you have console access & the enable password, you can just do:
en
conf t
int vlan 1
ip address a.b.c.d subnet 255.255.0.0

(and of course, after that, an 'exit' and 'wr m' [or to be correct 'copy runn star'])

or...you could do 'no ip address' -- but you really do want /an/ IP for it. [Smile]

A reminder - you really want to do this over a serial console, as the web interface is worthless. The CNA tool can be kind of handy, but nothing beats serial console (or telnet/SSH into it).

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 18:44      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still not quite there. I telnetted in and got up to the "ip..." command, and the switch complained that the "subnet" clause was invalid input.

When I say "discarded" I mean that literally; the guy who gave it to me found it in a scrap yard. I have no idea who the original owner was, except that it was probably one of the Sarnia Chemical Valley companies, and probably not either of the ones I worked for. I also have no prior experience with Cisco equipment (except for the Linksys stuff) - I can spell "IOS" but that's about it.

What I'd really like to do is find a way to get back to the factory configuration; that way I have at least some idea how it's set up.

--------------------

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 18:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm...typo on my part: a.b.c.d 255.255.255.0 -- or maybe 'netmask' but I think that's from the *nix ifconfig command. I config the IP address of too many devices! [Wink]

For help on any command, just type the start of it and then press ? -- it's kind of like tab-complete for help. [Smile]

There's a manual for the 2960...but it's about 700 pages long. Personally, I'm not aware of an easy command for wiping it, but I may have missed that amongst the 700 pages. [Wink] The mode button trick has worked for me, though. [Smile] Maybe you're trying it during the boot sequence instead of while it's operational? (The latter is correct, the former isn't.) There's also something you can type while it starts up from the serial console, but I forget what. :-/

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
-ct-
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 18:59      Profile for -ct-   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am SO damn jealous..........

i need some cisco stuff to play with myself so i can learn a thing or two

and no, the downloadable virtual crap is just that, crap
i want actual physical equipment i can touch and put into my network and play with

i don't suppose i could convince you to give it to me, huh? [crazy]

--------------------
Things are always darkest... just before you pull your head out of your butt, void where prohibited, keep away from flame, surcharge(s) may apply.

www.harddriveHELL.com and demoniclemon.com

Posts: 1906 | From: nowhere, man | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 19:36      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Closer, but still not there. Now it won't accept the "m" clause of the "wr" command. (I entered the "ip" command at a prompt that looked like "Switch(config-if)#"; exit brought me back to "Switch(config)#". "wr?" expanded to "wrr-queue")

I've d/led the "Getting Started", "Hardware Installation" and "Software Configuration" docs for the 2950 and according to them, I'm letting the switch finish POST before I do anything (STAT and SYST green, everything else dark). When I hold Mode for 3s, the STAT/UTIL/DUPLEX/SPEED leds come on green, along with 1X, 2X, 3X (green), 4X, 5X (amber). Nothing more happens no matter how long I continue to hold Mode; when I release Mode the port leds go out. If I press Mode again, the port leds come back on; after 3s the status leds blink, after another 5s or so they go out, and when I release Mode the switch starts another POST. That's not exactly what I think the manual says should happen, but I may be reading it wrong. The book says pressing Mode now should get me to Express Setup, but it doesn't.

I've only been playing with it for a few hours. (It showed up on my doorstep yesterday, and I left it on the counter overnight for the condensation to dry.) It's not an urgent problem, but it is a bit frustrating when I'm not really sure where I'm starting from. I do appreciate your help, dragon, and I hope we can get this sorted out.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 25, 2007 21:06      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm, you've got to exit twice.

Ctrl-Z will also get you there. It's much harder to retell the steps than to put hands to keyboard...

But basically, if you did it without the wr mem, it's still in the running config and live! Try connecting to that IP, even in your browser. BTW, it should be obvious but set the netmask accordingly. [Wink] I've picked arbitrary ones in my example. [Smile]

--------------------

Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted February 25, 2007 21:44      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Progress!!! ^Z, then wr mem, and the telnet connection dropped and the UTIL, DUPLEX and SPEED lights went out. Put the switch between the PC and the router, and once the PC was done twiddling, I can see the Internet! [Applause]

I still have some learning to do. I tried telnetting to the switch's new ip; I got a message "Password required, but none set" and got kicked. [ohwell] (This was without pressing the Mode button.) I really don't want to start messing with passwords until I figure out what I'm locking. Dragon, you obviously know something about Cisco stuff; can you recommend a good beginner's book that would fit in a student's budget? (Either that, or something I can find in the university library?)

Again, thank you for your help, Dragonman.

quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
...It's much harder to retell the steps than to put hands to keyboard...

I know what that's like. I used to do second-level user support, and when I had a user on the phone I usually had to pull up the app on my own screen before I could walk them through.

--------------------

Luke Skywalker
Assimilated
Member # 3096

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2007 19:22      Profile for Luke Skywalker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, real Cisco Tech in the house. (really, I work for them right now)

To get it to factory defaults, just erase the NVRAM, aka the saved settings.

In enable mode (eg should see a pound sign at your prompt, to get to, just type "en")

then "write erase"
then reload/restart it via "reload"
say no to saving system configuration when asked, and yes to confirm reloading the system.

NOTE!!
This will erase the auto boot string. You will have to manually boot the device from rommon (aka dos). Just type "boot (either "flash" or disk# probably '0') and follow the "flash/disk0" with a ':'

You can also specify after the colon which file system to boot. To do this, review that is on your memory/flash card with "dir" and "dev". Dev shows all your file system places, dir as "dir flash:" will show you the files in the flash (change flash as needed).

On the Ip bit, Dragonman97 has it right, but dont put in the work subnet, just A.B.c.D for the subnet (replace of course with actual subnet mask).

Also, as said, do everything in the console terminal. Web config sucks.

Feel free to PM me if you need any more help.

--------------------
Use the Force, Luke.

Posts: 406 | From: The Line Between Time and Space | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 26, 2007 21:14      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually I think I've got it paying attention to me now. I used
code:
ip address dotted.quad.ip.addr dotted.quad.subnet.mask

then ctrl-Z and wr mem, as Dm97 suggested, and got basic functionality.

I've just now installed Cisco Network Assistant so I get the pretty picture of the front panel, and I set some passwords so I can telnet from any of my desktops. It won't let me ssh in yet, though, but I think I'm set for the time being. Guess I can put that sledge hammer back in the basement...

From here I plan to take it cautiously and read the manuals before I do anything. (I will say they seem alot less readable than the Oracle docs.) What I'd really like to find, though, is a good "Head-First Missing Manual for Dummies"-type book. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks again,
Dave

PS: I agree that WebCMS is - I hesitate to say useless, but it refused to run until I downgraded to Java 1.4 (Literally! It flashed a message that said "I won't run under Java 1.5!") and when I re-upgraded, it refused to run again. That was with Netscape; it did nothing at all in Opera.

--------------------

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 26, 2007 22:02      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luke: You don't need to brag or be flashy. You may notice that my 'in the trenches' advice actually sufficed, so I think you can do without trouncing me. You freely admit that your advice will turn it into a paperweight unless you know exactly what you're doing, so I'd recommend against that advice.

Dave: I'll point out that while CNA is handy...there are some things that it also doesn't do spectacularly - like let you specify which VLANs you want to trunk on a port. That just doesn't work for me...I always use the CLI for such things. (int g0/x; sw tr vl al a,b,c; ^z)

I'd strongly recommend you download the PDF, as shortcuts are grand, but not fine to learn from. [Wink] Many chapters cover the über-fancy network managed functionality, and so the parts of the manual you'll really use are pretty digestible. [Smile] I mean seriously...I've read bits of it that make me gush over them and say "Wow, that's so cool...you could do fantastic things with these switches." Then, I come back down to reality and remember "I don't have the time, money, or staff to ever use that stuff" and just practice KISS. [Smile] [Now, if only there were a better way to practice that...but that might be in the realm of reason if things take a turn for the better.]

--------------------

Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted February 27, 2007 00:35      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dragon:

CNA will at least keep my fingers out of the gears until I have a better idea where I'm poking them [Geek]

I've d/led a couple of the PDFs but I haven't really looked past the TOCs yet; I've got some midterms and assignments due next week that are more urgent. For now, I've got it (with your help) passing packets and answering when I say its name. The guy I got it from had it for a month or so and couldn't get it to work at all. I missed him the day he dropped it off, so we haven't figured out if he was doing anything wrong.

I guess once I get into the manuals I'll be able to figure out which parts are relevant. All this stuff about VLANs and trunking and QoS is new to me; the bulk of my networking experience has been with IBM 5250. The big advance there was using twisted-pair stars instead of daisy-chaining thumb-thick Twinax cable [Razz]

A Catalyst 2950 is far more switch than I would have got for my home network if I'd actually had to pay for it, but I think the hours I'm going to spend studying it and playing with it will not be wasted time. I really appreciate the help you've given me in getting it to work.

--------------------

Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted February 27, 2007 00:41      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a question that just occurred to me: Is there anything I can do (that I want to do) through the serial port that I can't do via telnet?

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture