homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » Disappearing E-mail

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Disappearing E-mail
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 09:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all________________________Lets say that you or myself wanted to send a disappearing E-mail could it be affected? The receiver opens said E-mail and it stays on the screen only long enough to read, not time enough to forward, print, or save.

Could code be embeded that would do this? Kind of like the old burning tape on the TV series, Mission Impossible.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 09:52      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing could stop them from taking a screenshot, but you could probably do something like, have a little Flash animation that displays the message, put it on a web server, have a little script that only allows it to be accessed once, and then send the link in an e-mail. Maybe there's an easier way, but I bet it'll still involve sending a link rather than sending the actual message.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 10:51      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There a few sites that provide email with features like that. This one seems to fit what you've specified, but I've never used them. The only one I've used is here, but doesn't quite meet your description. It doesn't prevent the recipient from copying/printing/etc, but it is anonymous (at least until someone subpoena's their logs).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Explainer
Mini Geek
Member # 5716

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 12:48      Profile for The Explainer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
Nothing could stop them from taking a screenshot

Actually, there are some products available in the corporate world which display the text in a window, and if a screenshot is taken, the window displays as blank.

There is currently no known defense against the "digital camera attack".

Posts: 53 | From: The hall of logic | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 12:57      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Explainer:
quote:
Originally posted by maximile:
Nothing could stop them from taking a screenshot

Actually, there are some products available in the corporate world which display the text in a window, and if a screenshot is taken, the window displays as blank.

There is currently no known defense against the "digital camera attack".

Amen. Just make sure you lay the LCD panel on top of a wooden table first. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 13:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Explainer wrote:
There is currently no known defense against the "digital camera attack"

Telepathy

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 1 posted February 18, 2007 17:09      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
There a few sites that provide email with features like that. This one seems to fit what you've specified, but I've never used them. The only one I've used is here, but doesn't quite meet your description. It doesn't prevent the recipient from copying/printing/etc, but it is anonymous (at least until someone subpoena's their logs).

Now I can play dirty... Ha ha ha! [evil]

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2007 21:30      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think any mail clients or servers have any such support. Once something is sent by e-mail it's as good as public...

Mail protocols are for the most part still plain ascii data (text/html) with mime attachments, and any server along the way could potentially copy the message. Moreover, even if it deletes a local copy, the user is most likely using POP or IMAP to get their mail, and in both cases can leave a copy on the server. So, even if the client app supported such things, they could just regrab it long enough to print.

And as far as programs that block screen caps, the e-mail clients are still client side and the client would, or at least should, know if their application did support such things.

Moreover, allowing an e-mail to delete anything, even itself, would be a HUGE e-mail client securtiy risk.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2007 22:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mind you, I CBA to RTFA, but I should point out to you (GM) that most of these services work by including a link to the page with the message. Hell, even online greeting cards expire after a few weeks. [Wink] Some of the nastier ones will surely use DRM-laden tricks, but many of them are just naive. [Razz]

(I guess the message with the link must be nondescript enough such that the recipient wouldn't care about it after receiving it? Otherwise, it's hard to make *that* disappear. [Wink] )

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GameMaster
Member # 1173

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 21, 2007 22:41      Profile for GameMaster   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, that could work, iff JavaScript is enabled in their browser; there is no serverside way of closing a browser window either. I read the orignial post to mean the mail actually sent not the link itself. So there is no way to ensure this, unless you use Javascript to display the whole page, in which case viewing the page without JS would yeild a error message of your choice.

The not display if viewed once already (i.e. delete) could be done server side. The page is gotten to, and checks a flag. If the flag isn't set, show the page and flip the flag. PHP, ASP, JSP, Perl, ect. can all do this given access to a flat file or DB...

That said, I don't think that is MoMan's intent.

--------------------
My Site

Posts: 3038 | From: State of insanity | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2007 03:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GameMaster_______________________If I had my own server I would send a lot of one view only messages, I want the receiver to be able to read once and distroy

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2007 07:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
GameMaster_______________________If I had my own server I would send a lot of one view only messages, I want the receiver to be able to read once and distroy

Then instruct them to press the "Delete" key. [Smile]

--------------------

spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 22, 2007 07:58      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or get a Dell laptop with Windows ME and a Sony battery -- chances are it'll blow-up or crash before you finish reading the email anyway.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture