homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » JBOD

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: JBOD
atayarani
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4268

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2007 11:21      Profile for atayarani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but my forum search didn't find anything. Google wasn't very helpful either.

In a JBOD storage system (array?), do the disks need to be formatted first or can they have content on them when being set up?

I have a disk that has pretty much all my media files on it, which I don't want to lose; however, I also want to join it to several other disks, so I can increase my storage capacity.

Posts: 33 | From: Cambridge, MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 06:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
atayarani_________________What are you trying to do?

What OS are you using?

What hardware are you going to do this with?

Please provide us with those answers so that we know how best to help.

I my self have a generic PC with a full ATA card one CD_ROM and three hard drives, and a SCSI card with three hard drives all of these show up on the linux desktop.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
atayarani
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4268

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 07:34      Profile for atayarani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The OS is windows XP pro, the hardware is:

1) 300gig SATA HD
2) 160gig PATA HD
3) Addonics Storage tower (converts four drives into one USB connection, controls combining the drives on a hardware level)
4) I'd like to add future HDs
5) IBM Thinkpad T42/T43 hybrid (I custom built it)

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 08:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
atayarani_____________________To my way of thinking that is too much to get much use out of a USB set up.

My thoughts and I will probably be corrected, get a cheap tower, with a passable CPU put in an extra ATA card, enough power supply to run every thing and populate it with drives, then use a simple linux OS and connect to the Windows box via NIC cards.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
atayarani
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4268

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 08:31      Profile for atayarani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A dedicated tower uses too much electricity to be worthwhile. The desktop would cost me $10/month over my current electric bill. I actually dismantled the one I have, so I can save money.

I can see how you'd think a USB set up might not work, and I somewhat agree; however, since I'm primarily using the drives for storage rather than heavy I/O, I'm not sure I need a separate machine.

Unless there is another reason that i am missing that would make USB a poor choice for my purpose?

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 08:32      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Combining drives into an array usually (but not always) requires formatting them. The manual for the storage system should tell you whether this is necessary or not.

Even if you do have to format, you can copy the data to a separate drive first, then copy it back once the array is set up and you'll be set.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
atayarani
Geek-in-Training
Member # 4268

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 10:53      Profile for atayarani     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with addonics at all, but their manuals have very little in common with their products.

It would be hilarious, if it weren't so frustrating.

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2007 11:17      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm not familiar with Addionics. If their manuals are that bad, I don't think I want to be, either.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2007 06:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
atayarani___________________________I am wondering if thumb drives (large thumb drives) would be your cure get a couple of USB hubs, daisy chain them and plug in the drives. Just label them as to the contents. Really portable and lots of space, in a very small form factor. My brother inlaw does this. He uses a striped down laptop with his apps, on the thumb drives.

Just a thought

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture