homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » printer refill kits

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: printer refill kits
pete_gc
Newbie Larva
Member # 6797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 16:14      Profile for pete_gc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
does anyone by any chance know the versatility of printer refill kits? i just got an epson stylus cx4800 and the type of ink it has isnt on the list on my refill kit. i assume the printer is newer than the refill kit so it wouldnt be on there, but i could be dead wrong.
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 17:45            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering earlier if it was using refill ink that killed our Epson printer, very erratic failure until it finally ceased to print at all.

We now have an HP that has replaceable print heads, so if the cartridge you refill breaks, no biggie.

But Epson do use special ink in their printers for, I am told, better quality photo printing. As a consequence, the ink evaporates by itself (we do little printing and all our ink would disappear!) and their print system uses built-in, non-replaceable heads that once they jam, you're hosed.

Be careful with Epsons. Still, it lasted about three years before it died for good, although it was acting up before that.

IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 18:03      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i hate refill kits,

Most people buy them to save some money but honestly if you are a print wacko just go buy the new cartridges.

I had one experience trying to refill some cartidges and it just basically destroyed them and i had just right there lost 20 bucks.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
uilleann
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2007 18:54            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there are shops that do the refilling themselves and swap your cartridge for a new one ("Here's one we refilled earlier") so that might be a better option. Assuming they don't give you one that shorts out your printer's circuitry, and they don't give you the wrong frigging cartridge ("why is the printer going bang bang bang and shaking about?"), with a printer whose heads are on the cartridge itself, you should be fine.

But Epson tend to have the heads built-in, so if you clog it up, you're a bit stuck.

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

2015 Geek Culture