homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » Other Geeky Stuff   » Ask a Geek!   » stupid printer

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: stupid printer
pete_gc
Newbie Larva
Member # 6797

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 14:28      Profile for pete_gc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
while back my printer was working perfectly. then one day i turn it on and i get clicking noises. i try to print something and it says "collecting printer status" or something like that in the printer queue. anyone know what could have happened?

i've tried opening it up but i dont want to risk wrecking the whole thing.... i looked inside and couldnt see what the problem was, except for some gears that are the source of that clicking ..... im not sure if it'd be a paper jam because the last time i printed everything was perfect ..... i made a short video if anyone wants to see what im taking about about the clicking (its only 2mb) http://petermorawski.com/printer.zip

stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 15:11      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow it doesn't look good for your printer, my advice would be to re-install the software, take out the ink cartiges and place them back in, run a blank piece of paper through the printer, clean out all that dust and gunk, and if all else fails just go out and pick up a cheap printer (you can get one now adays for about 30 bucks).

If it comes down to having to get a new printer and you are about trash the other then don't. First of recycle the old thing but also see if you can take it apart and find the problem - you have nothing to lose you were about to trow it aways anyhow.

If this is a really expensive printer (by the looks of the clip it isn't) and non of my earlier suggestions work then just bring it into your nearest geek hobby shop where they will see what they can do (don't bring it into most mayor computer stores because they will charge you 50 bucks right of the bat for even looking at it, while your nearest geek store might even do it for free if it is a two second fix).

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 17:41      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not a printer expert so take what I say with a grain of salt but the last time I heard a sound like that it was a misaligned gear. I second stevenback7's suggestion. If you have to take it to a major computer store to get it fixed then you might as well take it apart, or at least have someone who knows how to put things back together take it apart, and see if the problem is a simple fix.

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 29, 2007 18:12      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have to take it to a repair shop, you might as well just buy a new printer. They're not that expensive... probably cheaper than paying for repairs.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 2 posted January 30, 2007 20:58      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That printer looks rusty, it's time to go and buy a new one...

Repairs are costy and quality gets dimminished over time so there's not another option...

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture